July 2000 - September 2000
7)Saturday September 2, 2000Nature destruction (Fine)
Ochiai River & Destructed bamboo forest
- Last weekend, I went camping to Okutama district and thus I didn't have a chance to jog.
- After an interval of 2 weeks, I ran alongside Ochiai/Kurome rivers as usual and was surprised to find that two big
bamboo forests which formed terrific green views had been destroyed!
- All I can see now is only digged ground! Big apartments may be built there soon.
- Every year, in spring, I could see bamboo shoots coming out from the ground. It was one of my joys during jogging.
- It is very regrettable to see nature being destroyed!
6)Thursday August 17, 2000Jogging from Higashi-kurume to JR Oume station (Cloudy)
Sign for Shin-oume highroad
24 km to Oume city
JR Oume station
- Consulting the map of Tokyo, I decided to jog to Oume city alongside Shin-oume highroad.
Shin-oume highroad is almost straight road from Tanashi city to Oume city.
I once saw the sign that the distance from Tanashi city to Oume city is 28 km.
- I left my home at 5:10 in the morning. The sky was unexpectedly covered with thick cloud.
Thus I was forced to carry an umbrella.
- I came across Shin-oume highroad after jogging 4 km. There was a sign that the distance
to Oume is 24 km. I continued to jog on the sidewalk of the straight Shin-oume highroad.
- Fortunately, it was cloudy and there was no shining sun! But I was dripping with sweat.
- Shortly, I passed near Kumegawa station of Seibu Line (Approx. 8 km).
Then, the sidewalk suddenly narrowed with 0.5m-wideth concrete plates. It was hard to
run. It was also dangerous since the cars passed away very closely with
high speed. The narrow sidewalk continued almost 1 km and I got tired of it.
I was afraid that the narrow sidewalk might continue to Oume city.
Then the sidewalk widened again and I was relieved. Only the part between Higashi-murayama city
and Higashi-yamato city was narrow.
- I was much impressed that the Shin-oume highroad runs throughly straight.
The traffic was heavy and thus I was annoyed by exhaust gas at the initial stage. However,
soon I did not care about it. But I think I absorbed a great amount of exhaust
- The road was straight and the scenery was simple. Thus I only concentrated to jog.
It is surely a good course to run long distance. On the way,
I came across a jogger who wore a sack on his back. I chukled to myself to find that
the similar runner was there.
- By way of Musashi-murayama city and Mizuho-cho, I finally arrived Oume city! Shin-oume highroad was changed
to Oume highroad without my knowledge.
- I arrived in JR Oume station after running 6 km from the boarder of Hozumi-cho and
Oume city. The final uphill road to Oume station was hard to run. It was 8:40 AM when I reached
- Working hour was 3 hours 15 minutes. The distance was approx. 32 km.
- My T-shirt got wringing wet. I changed the wear in the toilet near the station.
Then, I took breakfast at the Mac in front of the station. And I took train for Tachikawa at 9:14 AM.
- At Tachikawa station, I bought a bottled milk at Kiosk. It was so delicious since it is very difficult to
buy bottled milk lately. It was chilled and the taste was genuine!
Whenever I visited Tachikawa terminal, I was interested in bottled milk, however,
I did not have a chance to taste. I will surely drink the milk next time!
- When I arrived in my home, it was already 10:40 AM. It took much time
than I expected.
5)Monday August 14, 2000 (Fine weather)Jogging from my parental home (Okayama city) to State-established provincial temple of Bicchu (Souja city)
Ashimori river and iron bridge of Bullet Train
Stone Buddhas under the pagoda
Faraway view of five-storied pagota
Kibi cycling road and rice field
- I went back to my home country during 'Bon' holidays (in the middle of August when the
festival is done for inviting the soul of dead person)
- Whenever I come back, I always jog to the State-established provincial temple.
The total distance is almost 20 km.
- I got up at 5:30 and started to jog at 5:45 AM. It was so busy!
It was cool in the morning.
- After several hundred meters' jog, I arrive in the bank of
Ashimori river where I used to swim when I was a junior highschool student!
(No one can imagine scuh a scenery now!)
- There are a lot of herons around the river such as Little Egret, Great White Heron, Blue Heron.
- I finally arrived in the Kibi cycling road after 4 km jogging.
- You can see only rice field around there.
The scenery has never changed so far.
- Then the indication that the distance to the temple is 3 km appeared.
- Finally I arrive in the temple. Shortly before, I met the first jogger today.
The distance was almost 10 km. It took almost 1 hour.
I was drenched to the skin with sweat.
- When I came home, it was 8:10 AM. The cicadas were singing noisy!
It might be hot today also! The temperature had been more than 35 centigrade
degrees while I stayed in Okayama!
4)Sunday August 6, 2000Jogging to Inokashira Park (Mitaka city, Tokyo) Fine weather
Alongside Tamagawa Irrigation
Sunbeam into the forest of Inokashira Park
Goddess of Fortune
- This time, I decided to jog to Inokashira Park as new jogging route.
- Last night, I went to Sayama city with my junior son to see fireworks
(The Star Festival) and thus I could not get up early this morning.
We went to the Festival for the first time. However, we were taken by a heavy thunderstorm in
the evening. We were forced to stay at the station for a while.
After the thunderstorm, we found a lot of people were gathering. There were a great number of
night stalls there. A large number of people gathered than I expected.
The fireworks started at 8:00 PM and more people gathered. The fireworks
were not so gorgeous since they were shooted a little bit faraway from us.
- Anyway, I left my home at 5:20 this morning. It was cool owing to last night's
thunderstorm, but it was fine weather.
- I ran to Hanakoganei station alongside Koganei Highroad as usual.
- From Hanakoganei station, I ran to the opposite in the Tama-Lake
cycling road to the starting point.
- It was getting hotter.
- I arrived in the starting point after approx. 50-minutes jog. (Approx. 8km)
Then, I reached the sidewalk alongside Tamagawa Irrigation while I jogged 1 km.
The sidewalk is narrow and unpaved. It was not good for jogging.
- After jogging 1.5 km, I finally arrived in JR Mitaka station.
While I was jogging the town of Mitaka city, I lost the Tamagawa Irrigation.
I consulted the map and found the way to Tamagawa Irrigation. I again
reached the Tamagawa Irrigation, however, found that the sidewalk alongside
the irrigation disappeared. (The sideway becomes alongside roadway.)
- Finally, I arrived in Inokashira Park. The distance from JR Mitaka
station is 1.5 km. Approx. 12 km from my home!
- A lot of old ladies and gentlemen were also walking there in the morning.
- I visited the park for the first time and I strolled for a while.
It's a good place for walking/jogging!
- I was surprised to see a lot of gigantic carp (almost 3 feet!) in the pond.
- I found the park is very close to the JR Kichijoji station!
- As a return route, I jogged northward from JR Kichijoji station to Oume Highroad.
- It took much time to return to my home since I strolled the park. It was 8:20 AM
when I reached my home. It was also so hot today! The distance was 22 km.
- I jogged totally 47 km this weekend since I jogged 25 km yesterday!
3)Saturday July 22, 2000Jogging on Iruma River Cycling Road (Sayama City to Kawagoe City)(Weather : Fine)
Boundary of Kawagoe City
A kind of lily
Stream of Iruma River
- Ms. Kosugi who lives in Sayama City informed me thru E-mail that there is a nice cycling road alongside Iruma River.
Thus I decided to visit there.
- I got on the first train from Higashi-kurume Station at 4:57 AM.
I arrived in Iruma City station at 5:22.
- The northern part of the Iruma City Station area are being developed. Therefore, it was difficult to find out
the route to Iruma River. I finally found the way to Route No.299.
- After running 1.5km, I arrived in the bridge of Iruma River (Housui Bridge). I found the sidewalk on the right side of the river.
I decided to run into.
- However, the sidewalk soon became unpaved and finally terminated. I then found the cycling road was on the left side
of the river. By way of Hirose Bridge, I finally reached Kawagoe-Sayama cycling road.
- I understood at the end that the cycling road starts from the left side of Housui Bridge.
- According to the guide board near Housui Bridge, the cycling road extends to Iruma Big Bridge in Kawagoe city. The total
distance is 22.8km.
- Anyway, I started from Hirose Bridge to Kawagoe City.
- It was fine. Even at around 6:00 AM, I felt I was running under a burning sun!
- The cycling road was nice and I felt good.
- I felt as if I were running on Tama River Cycling Road. It resembles very much.
- Although it was hot in the early morning, a lot of people were walking/jogging.
- On the way, I found a kind of lily flowers.
- I reached the boundary between Sayama city and Kawagoe city at a distance of almost 10km from Iruma City Station.
- There was a park covered with turf as if it were golf course. Many people were strolling.
- It was so hot and thus I decided to return to Iruma City Station from there.
- I had to drink water frequently to prevent heartstroke caused by hot weather.
- This time, I jogged approx. 20 km for 2 hours.
- I will try to jog this course once more to Iruma Big Bridge when it becomes cool.
- Ms. Kosugi, thank you for your valuable information. I would run without problem next time.
2)Sunday July 9, 2000
Jogging from Karabori River (Higashi-murayama City) to Yanase River (Kiyose City)
Karabori River & Sidewalk
Karabori River Upstream
- Yesterday morning, it was very windy and rainy since the out-of-season Typhoon No.3 approaced Kanto District.
- Contrarily, it was fine this morning. I left home at 4:30AM as I did last week. It was still cool.
- I ran northward alongside Shinoume Highroad until I arrived Kumegawa Station of Seibu Shinjuku Line.
Shortly after passing Kumegawa Station, I reached the sidewalk of Karabori River. (The distance is approx. 7 km.)
- I ran on the sidewalk downstream. 'Karabori' means 'Empty' and thus Karabori River usually has little
water. However, owing to heavy rain by typhoon, it had more water than usual.
A lot of old ladies/gentlemen were walking even in the early morning.
- I came across Seibu Ikebukuro Line at a distance of 4 km from Kumegawa
- Soon Karabori River joins Yanase River (After 1.5 km jogging from where I came across Seibu Line.)
and the sidewalk teminates.
- Then I entered the sidewalk of Yanase River. (It took a little bit time to find out the sidewalk.)
Then, I arrived in the Kanayama Bridge thru Kanayama Green Park. The Kanayama Bridge was the place
where I also came last week.
- I took the same course from Kanayama Bridge to my home as that of last week.
I arrived in my home at 6:45AM. The running distance was approx. 20 km.
- Yesterday, I ran 20 km after the rain stopped under the hot/humid condition.
Thus totally I ran 40 km.
1)Sunday July 2, 2000 Jogging alongside Yanase River (Kiyose-city, Tokyo) Sunny:Very hot!
Yanase River & JR Musashino Line
Yanase River Upstream
Zelkova Tree Road
- Sunny days during rainy season! Temperature was almost 35 degrees Centigrade
- I left home at 4:30AM to avoid the heat.
- I jogged alongside Kannetsu Expressway to the north for almost 1 hour
untill I came across Yanase River.
- Yanase River flows the border of Tokorozawa city and Kiyose city.
- It's a middle-size river and the water is almost clear.
- I jogged upstream on the sidewalk alongside the river. I passed under the bridge of JR Musashino Line. Higashi-Tokorozawa Station
is very close.
- Sidewalk seems to be arranged alongside both Yanase River and Karabori
River (Branch of Yanase River).
- This time, I jogged 2km alongside the river and headed to the south
to Kiyose Station of Seibu Line.
- The broad road to Kiyose Station is called "Zelkova Tree Road" since it
is an avenue of zelkova trees.
- When I came home, it was 6:40AM. I ran 18.30km for 1 hour 47 minutes.
Yesterday, I ran 24km. Totally, I ran 42.3km this weekend!
- It was hot even in the early morning and I was drenched in a sweat.
- I will try to run alongside Yanase River and Karabori River next time.