July 2003 - September 2003
11)Monday September 22, 2003 Weather : Cloudy
Return from business trip in Rome, Italy
- I went to Rome, Italy from September 14 to 19, 2003 owing to business trip after a long interval.
- It had been fine. Although the temperature was high, the humidity was low and thus it was comfortable there.
- To my regret, I did not have a chance to jog. However, I could do some sightseeing there.
- It was rainy and cold (The temperature was as low as that of November!) at the weekend after return from Rome since the typhoon was coming.
I did not feel like running in the rain since I was a little bit tired.
- I was day-off today. Since the rain stopped in the early morning,
I decided to jog in the morning.
- It was cloudy and still cold. I slowly jogged alongside Kurome/Ochiai Rivers.
Although the running distance was only 10 km, after running, I felt a little bit sweated.
- The marathon races season will soon start in Japan. I will have to train more seriously from now on.
- I registered the event "2003 October Run". I am forced to run monthly at least 300 km in October!
10)Saturday September 6, 2003 Weather : Sunny occasinally cloudy, hot
JOGGING in summertime
- I make it a rule not to drink on Friday night taking the joggings in the weekend
- However, on this Friday, I met my senior at the university after a long interval and
- This morning, I was surprised to learn that it was almost 7:00 AM when I awoke.
I thought I would be late for the office. (I usually get up around 5:30 AM. I get up at 4:20 AM
when I jog 10 km in the early morning!) Alas! It's a ways of a slaried-man!
Anyway, shortly, I realized that it was Saturday and was relieved.
- Consequently, the starting time of jogging was 8:45 AM.
I still had a little bit hang-over.
- Furthermore, it was fine and hot! The conditions were worse.
- First, I jogged to Shakujii Park, then I ran alongside Shakujii River to
Hikarigaoka Park. Finally I arrived in Ohizumi Central Park via Road #24 and Road #68.
- It was so hot under the summer sunshine and I had to drink water/sport-drinks frequently.
- Almost all parts of the course were alongside the roadway. Thus I felt that I inhaled a lot of exhaust gas
while running under the hot condition. It's not good for health.
- The jogging should be done in the fresh air. No cars!!
- Today's total running distance was approx. 36 km. It took almost 4 hours owing to hot weather and hang-over!
9)Saturday August 30, 2003 Weather : Cloudy
I couldn't see the seal named "Tama-chan" again.
- First, I thought I would run down the Tama River to the estuary.
But I remembered the last week's long-run and changed my mind. I decided to go to Arakawa River
on the same course of August 10's cycling.
- I left home around 5:00 AM. It was cloudy, but humid from the morning.
A lot of old ladies and gentlemen were walking alongside Kurome River even in the early
- The temperature was not so high, but I sweated very much owing to high humidity.
- It took almost 2 hours to reach the bank of Arakawa River. No one was there since it was still 7:00 AM.
- I continued to run toward the iron bridge of JR Musashino Line on the cycling road.
Many golfers were already playing golf on the Asaka Public Golf Course.
- Shortly I arrived in the place where the seal, 'Tama-chan', was resting on the boat moored there.
This time, I could see the boat itself, however, unfortunately, I couldn't see
the seal on the boat.
- A man was selling pictures of "Tama-chan" on the wagon there. I wondered who would buy such pictures.
- Soon I was running back to my home via walkway of Kurome River.
I sweated so much and thus I felt thirsty. I could not stand and dropped in the convenience
store to buy a 500 ml canned beer around 35 km point.
I drank at a draft and felt supreme bliss for a short time.
- However, I felt hardness while I was running the remaining 7 km.
I advise you not to drink beer until you finish running.
The total running distance was 42 km.
8)Saturday August 23, 2003 Weather : Sunny & Hot
Running around the Sayamako-Lake
- Long rainy weather was finally gone. And the summer just came back!!
- Thus I decided to run around the Sayamako-Lake, where I cycled in late July.
However, I took the reverse course.
- It was said that the maximum temperature would be more than 30 degrees Centigrade
and thus I left home around 4:45 AM to avoid the hot weather.
- I entered into the road surrounding Sayama-Lake from Tamako-Lake road.
The entrance was closed by gate to prevent cars from entering.
(from 4:00 PM to 9:30 AM)
- The road was almost unpaved. There were lots of pebbles and puddles. It is not so good for running.
- There are ups-and-downs as well. The forest of Sayamako-Lake side is fenced around.
Displays showing "No Illegal Dumping' noticeable.
- The course is in the forest and thus it's good to prevent direct sunlight.
- Anyway, I could run smoothly to 30 km as usual. However, after 30 km,
my running pace slowed down.
- During the course, I met only several people since it was so early in the morning.
I could hear only the droning of cicadas.
- Finally, I reached the bank of Sayamako-Lake. The sun was shining severely on my body since there
was no shade.
After crossing the bank, I suddenly felt to be tired. (The running distance was approx. 35 km.)
- Shortly, I returned to the Tamako-Lake road. I felt exhausted and started to walk for a while.
At that point, the distance to my home was still 15 km!
- The temperature was still rising. I was forced to repeat running and walking reciprocally.
I remembered the experience at ultra marathon race in spite of myself.
- I managed to come back to my home, however, I was completely exhausted.
The total sdistance was around 50 km. I thought I could return after 5 hours, but actually it took
almost 6 hours and 30 minutes. The main causes are lack of sleep and too-hot weather.
It may be thoughtless to run 50 km under such a hot weather.
I drank water as much as possible.
- I will try the same course again, maybe, in autumn.
7)Sunday August 17, 2003 Weather : Cloudy
40 km JOG
- We had heavy rain between August 14 and 16 and I could not go out during the period.
- It was so cool, but the rain was so hard that I could not have mind to run.
- However, I suffered from the stress since I could not run.
- Today, fortunately, the rain stopped. It was said that it would be cloudy with occasional rain.
But I decided to run and left home around 8:00 AM.
- I did not intend to run long distance since I hated to be wet with rain.
- However, I decided to go to Kitayama Park in Higashi-murayama city. The distance is approx. 15 km.
The park is famous for irides. Now is the season of lotus flowers.
- Just in front of the park, there is a temple named 'Shofukuji'.
The temple is famous for a shirine of 'One thousand Jizoes (guardian diety of children)', which is the
only the national treasure building in Tokyo.
One thousand of small 'Jizoes' are installed in the building. (You cannot see them actually.)
- In the park, I could see several lotus flowers.
- Then, I came back to the walkway of Karabori River and continued to run alongside the river.
The river's amount of water increased owing to continual rain.
- I felt a little bit tiredness after 30 km point, but I went running.
- Today's running distance was 42 km. I ran more than 40 km after a long interval.
6)Wednesday August 13, 2003 Weather : Cloudy
30 km JOG
- The "Bon" festival holiday just started. The rain in the early morning stopped
and thus I decided to challenge a long-distance jog again. The destination was Tamako-Lake.
- It was dull weather when I started around 8:30 AM and not so hot.
- I sprayed an anodyne on my right knee. Neverthless, I still felt a little bit pain there just after starting jog.
Thus I tried to run as slowly as possible. But soon, I felt no pain.
- I ran to Tamako-Lake via Tamako-Lake Cycling Road as usual and ran in the vicinity of Seibu Amusement Park.
A lot of people were gathering into the park.
- I completed the 30 km jog after a long interval. I could enjoy running.
I felt that the physical condition had to be always kept good.
- I also felt that there is a big energy consumption difference between RUN & BIKE.
5)Sunday August 10, 2003 Weather : Sunny
RUN & BIKE
- Yesterday, it was stormy all day owing to Typhoon No. 10 and I could not go out.
- Today, it was fine, hot and humid from the morning since the typhoon was gone.
- Finally I did not feel pain on my right knee and I decided to run again.
- I started at 7:30 AM with daypack on my back since I thought I would be able to run around 30 km.
- However, to my regret, I felt pain immediately after the start although
I had not felt any pain while walking.
- Therefore, I ran 10 km alongside the Kurome/Ochiai rivers with slow pace.
- I could not be satisfied with the running result. So I decided to go cycling to Arakawa river.
- I left home again around 10:00 AM. The sun was shining.
- I cycled according to the usual running course to Arakawa river.
- Then I cycled northward to the bridge of JR Musashino line on the broad
cycling road alongside Arakawa river.
- Finally I arrived in the place where 'Tama-chan, a famous seal" once stayed.
The seal was always resting on the boat moored there.
- To my regret the boat was removed owing to flood caused by yesterday's typhoon.
Of couse, I could not see "Tama-chan".
- There were guide plates prepared by Ministry of Transportation.
The visitors were rare. Will "Tama-chan" come back there?
- As return route, I cycled back alonside Kurome river. The total cycling distance was approx. 35 km. It was so hot!
4)Friday August 1, 2003 Weather : Sunny
CYCLING PART II Kibi Heights Towns (Okayama Pref.)
- During the summer vacation, I went back to my home country (Okayama) by night bus.
- I had a plan to jog during my stay in Okayama, however, I still felt pain at my right knee.
I was forced to give up running again and to cycle.
- The destination was the terminal of the Kibi Heights Towns Cycling Road.
- Kibi Heights Towns was establised at Kibi Heights which is approx. 500m above sea level, located in the middle of Okayama Pref.
- The rainy season was over a few days ago in Okayama. The temperature was rising in the
early morning. Anyway, I left home by bicycle without change-gear at 8:30 AM.
- At the intial stage, I cycled alongside Ashimori River. Then I continued to cycle
on the cycling road beside the national road. The road was gradually upward.
- The bicycle had no change-gear and thus when the road became upward, the speed
suddenly slowed down.
- The one-way distance was approx. 30 km.
After the 20 km point, the road had more ups-and-downs.
Sometimes, I could not cycle owing to big upward slope and I had to push up the cycle.
- When I arrived in the entrance of the town, almost 3 hours passed.
I was really tired since it was so hot. No one was cycling or running except me!
- I found a farmers' flea market in the town and I bought several corns.
It was so cheap and delicious!
- The return course was good since the road was almost downward. It took only two hours.
The total running distance was approx. 60 km. Next time, I will have to run.
I drank beer as soon as I got back. It was so delicious!
3)July 27 (Sunday) to July 29 (Tuseday), 2003
- Sunday 27, 2003 CloudayRunning Road Surrounding Sayamako-Lake
- I ran 36 km on July 19 and 22 km on July 20. After that, I started to feel pain in the right knee.
- Thus I was forced to stop running on weekdays. But I still felt pain over the weekend.
- I gave up running. Instead, I started cycling by using a three-geared bicycle once used by my junior son.
- I remembered that Mr. H, my running mate, once told me that there was a running course around the Sayamako-Lake.
I decided to go there.
- After lunch, I cycled to Seibu Dome Ball Park via Tamako-Lake Cycling Road.
Then I finally arrived in the bank of Sayamako-Lake.
- I visited there after a few years interval. I found the bank had been reinforced and beautifully renewed.
- I crossed the bank and entered the road surrounding the lake. Contrary to my expectation,
I found the road was unpaved.
- The road was bumpy and there were lots of puddles after the rain.
It was not good for cycling.
- Anyway, I continued to cycle and found that almost all the road was unpaved and that there were
ups and downs in the forest.
- The road was surely good for the training of running. I only met a few people.
- However, there are several gates on the road. Those gates are closed during the night (from 4:00 PM to 9:30 AM)
to prevent the irregular dumping.
- There are distance plate from the Sayamako-lake on the course. Good for runners.
- The distance of cycling was approx. 50 km.
I was worrying that the tire of the bicycle might blow out since it was old one, but fortunately, it didn't.
I have to run this course next time.
Bank of the lake
- Monday July 28, 2003 Cloudy then sunny The mouth of Tama River
- My summer vacation just started. Since I could not jog owing to the pain on the right knee,
I continued to cycle as training. I intended to cycle down to the mouth of Tama River.
- I left home around 10:00 AM. First, I cycled southward on the Nogawa Cycling Road to Futago-Tamagawa.
It was cloudy at the initial stage, however, soon the sun appeared and it became hot.
- I crossed Futago-Tamagawa Bridge to enter into Kawasaki City.
I passed Maruko Bridge and soon arrived the bridge of JR Tokaido Line around noon.
- I lost my way for a while, but shortly after I found the way again.
I saw several runners on the bank since it was lunch time.
There are a lot of big factories around there.
- Finally I reached the top of the mouth of the river.
There is a factory of Isuzu Motor Co. Ltd. The distance was approx. 45 km.
- I could see the Haneda Airport on the other side. I could also see the Monorail and the airplanes
leaving one by one.
- As a return route, I acrossed the Taishi Bridge and entered into Tokyo area.
I cycled to Koremasa Bridge (The part of the raod was unpaved.) and came back to my home.
- Totally, I cycled more than 90 km. It took more than 6 hours.
- I did not felt tired. However, I felt pain on the hips since I had to sit on the saddle
for a long time. My hands and foot were also sunburned.
- I must run this course in the very near future. (One way only!)
- I found two new long-distance running courses.
the mouth of Tama River
- Tuseday July 29, 2003 Cloudy then rainy Noyama-kita Park Cycling Road (Musashi-murayama City, Tokyo)
- I found it was enjoyable to cycle during these two days. I intend to use as one training method from now on.
- The weatherman said it would be rainy. However, in the morning, it was not rainy as yet.
Thus I again left home around 7:30 for cycling. The destination was the northe part of Tama River
via Noyama-kita Cycling Road.
- As usual, I arrive in the western part of the Tamako surrounding road. I had a plan to
enter into the Noyama-kita Park Cycling Road from there. However, I lost my way although I followed
the guide plate.
- Anyway, I consulted the map and finally entered the cycling road via Shin-Oume Road.
(The cycling road is an avenue of cherry trees. It's good for flower-viewing in spring!)
- When I arrived in the terminal of the cycling road, to my regret, it started to rain.
The area is very close to the US Yoyota Army Base.)
- I was forced to take shelter from rain for a while.
Soon the rain stopped. I was at a loss what to do next. It seemed that the rain would
start again and thus I decided to go home via Shin-Oume Road.
- On the way, the rain started and stopped several times.
I was finally wet to the skin until I came home.
- The cycling distance was around 40 km. I wanted to cycle further.
I have to cycle this course again.
2)Sunday July 27, 2003
To deeply lament the sudden death of Mr. H, my beloved running mate.
- I had phone call at mid-night of July 23, 2003 from Mr. F, my
running mate who lives in Wakayama Pref.
- I wondered why he called me at night.
The call was to notify me the sudden death of Mr. H, who lived in Sakaide City, Kagawa Pref.
- At the moment, I was astonished to hear the news and of course I could not believe his death.
He was so tough that there was no reason for death.
- He came to see me on June 7, 2003 to cheer me at Shimanami 100 km Ultra
- According to the reports from my friends, he went to climb Mt. Iwate of Iwate Pref. by himself
during his summer vacation. During the mountaineering, he got a kind of cerebral hemorrhage
and felt into a coma and soon passed away!
- I joined many training camps with him. I joined Kibi-ji Marathon Race with him in February 2000.
At that time, he lodged at my parents' home with me. I have lots of good memoirs with him.
- He was 50 years old. It's too young.
- May his soul rest in peace.
1)Saturday July 19, 2003 Weather : Cloudy
- I tried to jog to Hikarigaoka Park again.
- I intended to start early in the morning, however, to my regret, it was rainy around 6:00 AM.
But the rain stopped at 7:00 AM and I immediately went out.
- Consulting the map, I decided to go the park via Ohizumi Central Park.
- Although the rain ceased, it seemed to start again. It was cool and good for running.
- I went to Ohizumi Central Park as usual. Then, I continued to run to the park acrossing Route 68.
The distance was approx. 16 km.
- The Hikarigaoka Park has an area of 600,000 square meters. One of the largest parks in Tokyo.
It was opened in 1981. There were once houses for the families of US army.
A lot of big trees are there now. A 2 km jogging course is established around the park.
A bird sanctuary is also made. (Open from 10:00 to 16:00 on Saturday, Sunday and National Holiday only)
Jogging Course Guide
- I returned to my home using the same course as before. The total running distance was approx. 36 km.
Fortunately, it did not rain while running.