January 2006 - March 2006
1)Sunday, January 8, 2006
Pilgrimage in Bando Fudasho (Part XIV) Weather : Sunny
- The nineteenth Fudasho : Ohya Ji Temple (1198 Ohya-cho Utsunomiya City, Tochigi Pref.)
- Now is already 2006!! I intend to visit Fudashoes as much as possible this year.
- I left home past 6:00 AM. It was dark outside.
It was said that this winter would be the coldest after the interval of 20 years.
The coldest weather has continued. It was very cold this morning.
- I took on the train of Saikyo Line from Ikebukuro to Akabane, then changed to the train of Utsunomiya Line bound for
Utsunomiya at 7:10 AM.
I arrive in Utsunomiya at 8:40 AM.
- I got off at Utsunomiya for the first time. It was cold there!
I checked the bus and found that the bus would leave at 9:10 AM.
- For a while, I looked for souvenir shops in the station and I remembered that the
specialty of Utsunomiya was "Gyoza", steam-baked meat pie".
- Middle-aged sales woman fully explained about the kinds of "Gyozas" to me, and thus
I promised to buy one of them for souvenir when I would come back to
the station. Then I took on the bus from the station.
- Only a few passengers were in the bus. All passengers except me took off on the way and the passenger was only me to the
bus stop of the Fudasho.
- It took only a few minutes to the Fudasho from the bus stop.
I reached there at 9:40 AM. It was still cold.
- The main temple is built under the large rock.
- First, I got a red stamp on my pilgrimage note for Yen 300.
The visitor has to pay Yen 300 to meet to worship the kannon in the main temple.
- I thought there might be no other visitors there since it was so cold, however, a few groups visited by their own cars.
- The one thousand-handed kannon was carved on the wall of the rock, which was done by "Kukai", a famous high priest in the 8th century.
It is almost 4 m tall. The kannon lighted by votive candles was visionary and mysterious and solemn.
I involuntarily joined my palms to worship.
It is natural that taking a photo is prohibited.
- The kannon was once covered with gold leaf gold. It must have been more glorious.
- There are nine more marvelous carved Buddhhas on the wall of other rock.
They are all designated as important national properties.
- After worshipping the kannon, I visited a treasure museum in the temple. Human bones of 11,000 years ago is exhibited there.
- Then I also visited to see a "Peace Kannon" in the vicinity.
- Finally I went to the "Ohya Rock Museum" located 600 m away from the temple.
- You can learn the history of Ohya Rock and see the mining complex of Ohya Rock.
- The size of mining complex is almost the same as that of Tokyo Dome.
When I got into the underground complex, I felt uneasy since it was so dark and spacious.
It was also cold inside. The temperture was only 4 degrees Centigrade.
- I finished the schedule very earlier than I expected. I took on the bus from the Ohya Rock Museum at 11:12 AM.
- I reached Utsunomiya Station around 11:40 AM. I bought rice balls as lunch and "Gyoza" for souvenir and took on the
train bound for Ueno to be left at 12:00 AM.
- I finally came back home around 2:30 PM.
Ohya Rock Museum
Scenery near the museum
- It was a cold travel this time.