July 2010 - December 2010
1)Monday, July 26, 2010
Pilgrimage in Saigoku Fudasho (Part XVIII) Weather: Fine
- 33rd Fudasho: Kegonji Templei23 Tokuzumi, Tanikumi-mura, Ibi-Gun, Kifu Pref.)
- The accomplishment of visiting all Saigoku Fudashoes would be done after visiting the
33rd Fudasho and I was planning the visit in the very near future.
- I finally decided to visit during my summer vacation from July 24 to July 28, 2010.
- The heat wave has continued since the end of rainy season this year.
A long spell of very hot weather has been reported in Gifu Pref., where I would visit
- After all, I was to take a night bus bound for Gifu City from Shinjuku on July 25.
- The weather man said it would be thunderstorm in Tokyo on Sunday.
I was worrying about the weather at Sunday night.
- It was fulminating at night, but almost no rain. I left home around 21:30.
- I arrived in Shinjuku around 22:30. I had extra time and thus I dropped in Mac restaurant to have a coffee.
The restaurant was so crowded with young guys although it was almost 23:00.
I managed to find out one empty seat. But I wondered what they were doing?
- Anyway, I took on the night bus to be left at 23:10. Since it was Sunday night, the percentage of
boarding was less than 50%.
- For a change, I was not drunk at all. But I could sleep well since it was cool and comfortable
in the bus. I waked up at five in the morning.
- The bus reached Meitetsu Kifu Station at 5:45 AM. Earlier than scheduled.
It took five minutes to JR Gifu Station on foot. I took on the JR local train and arrived in Ohgaki Station around 6:30 AM.
- I had to change to Tarumi Railroad from there, but the next train would leave at 7:15 AM.
I had to wait for a while at platform. The platform of Tarumi Railroad was at the end of JR platform.
- A one-man-operated single-car train arrived past 7:00 AM.
- The train left at 7:15 as scheduled and was running in the local scenery.
The train was not crowded and almost all passengers were students.
- The train arrived in Tanikumi-guchi Station around 8:00 AM.
It was a small-unmanned station. I was the only passenger got off the train.
- I expected the connected bus, but I was disappointed to learn that the next bus
would leave 9:55 AM. I could not wait 2 hours!
- While I was lost in thought, an old lady who was cleaning up the station spoke to me.
- She said, "The bus does not connect the train. Previously my husband took one pilgrim to the Fudasho by his car. Once I lent a bicycle to other
pilgrim." etc. etc.A
- She said to me, "May I lend a bicycle?"
But I asked how far from here to the Fudasho. She said, "Around 4 km."
- Therefore, I decided to go on foot and gave a polite refusal to her offer of bicycle.
Anyway, I started to walk on the road as instructed by her under the boiling sun.
- It's too hot. After walking for a while, I found a display saying '3 km to Yakunisan".
It's exactly the same distance the old lady told me.
- I only had Weider-in-ENERGY and Calorie-Mate and thus
I was worrying about the walk under very hot condition.
- But fortunately, I could see a convenience store shortly.
I bought two rice balls and ate them while walking.
- Soon I was drenched in sweat. I finally reached the entrance of approach after 40-minute walk.
- The temple town continued to the main temple of the Fudasho.
There were many restaurants and souvenir shops.
- But it was still before 9:AM and thus the no one was in the street and
it was so quiet.
- Also from temple gate to the main temple, no one was seen.
- I arrived in the main temple, but only I was there.
It was so quiet and solemn in the main temple.
A very big red paper lantern was impressive. The main Kannon, the eleven-faced Kannon, was in the
- After worshipping the Kannon, I went into the underground cloister. (The fee: Yen 100)
It was similar to that of Zenkouji Temple in Nagano Pref. It was completely dark in the cloister
and thus it was necessary to walk by touch. It took a few minutes to get out.
- Then I got three red stamps at Nokyosho. Only I was there.
I completed visiting all Saigoku Fudashoes. I also finish visiting/worshipping one hundred Kannons.
- After then, I strolled around the precinct. There are various kinds of building.
Lastly I visited the Mangan-do Temple located in the highest.
- While returning, I dropped in the famous noodle shop "Tomioka-Ya" to have famous "Mangan-Buckwheat Noodle" (Yen 700).
The volume was not so much. A small rainbow trout seasoned by soy sauce and sugar
was on the noodle. The taste was not so good for me. Anyway, if one drinks up the soup,
he could see the letters "All wishes accomplished" at the bottom of the bowl.
It's a kind of bringer of good luck.
- I completed visiting the last Fudasho earlier than expected; I decided to
visit another famous temple named Yokokura-ji Temple in the same district.
Entrance of temple town
Big straw sandal
- After returning from Yokpkura-ji Temple, I arrived in Ohgaki City
around 15:00. I felt hungry and had a big Mack at Mack restaurant.
- Then I went back to Gifu City where the overnight bus would leave.
- However, the bus would leave at 23:00. There was plenty of time.
But it was too hot and I did not want to go anywhere.
- I strolled around the town for a while and finally decided to go to Gifu castle,
where several Japanese feudal lords fought during the warlike period. (From 15th - 16th century)
- I took on the bus from JR Gifu Station to Gifu Park. There I could see Gifu castle
on the top of Mt. Kinkazan.
- I took on the ropeway from the foot of Mt. Kinkazan. (Round-trip ticket: Yen 800)
- The view form the top of Gifu castle was marvelous.
I could feel as if I were the lord of Gifu castle.
I wondered how the lord could build the castle on such a high top of the mountain.
- I visited there in the evening. But during the summer, the castle is open until 22:00.
The visitor could enjoy seeing the night view of the city.
There is a restaurant and beer garden is also available.
- I went back to the city and drop in Japanese pub for dinner. I could enjoy drinking cold draft beer there.
- Only three passengers were on the bus left at 23:00. I wondered if the bus company could make money.