Runner's Magazine Tokyo 10km Summer Race
Showa Memorial Park (Tachikawa-city, Tokyo)
Sunday June 11, 2000
Weather: Rainy, Maximum temperature 18.9 degrees Centigrade
|10km||1,700 (Started at 10:35)|
|Friendship (10km pair)||382 (Started at 10:45)|
|5km||496 (Started at 10:30)|
Record & Impression
- This was my first race in June.
- It was announced that Tokyo area entered rainy season on June 9, 2000.
- The rain re-started on Saturday night and continued on Sunday.
- I had a very few experiences to leave home on the marathon day in the heavy rain! I always flatter myself that I am a "fine-weather man".
- I left home at 8:40AM. It was cool! I could not believe that the temperature was almost 30 degrees Centgrade a few days ago.
- I was surprised that a lot of runners were in the train when I changed the line at Tachikawa Station.
- There were more runners at Nishi-Tachikawa Station which is the closest station to Showa Memorial Park. They walked to the reception in a body.
- I once more realized that the runners do not care bad weather!
- I arrived in the reception before 10:00AM. Many runners were also gathering there.
- There was no place for shelter to get out of the rain.
- Therefore, I changed the wears under the big ginkgo tree using umbrella.
- The 10km race for male started at 10:45. (10:35 for female) The rain did not stop and thus I decided to run wearing a big vinyl bag with holes.
- Almost all runners were running only usual wears and thus they were drenced to the skin.
- After all, I continued to wear the vinyl bag to the goal and was drenched in a sweat.
- I had to make two rounds to finish the race. The direction was the opposite compared with the direction of Tachikawa marathon race.
- The running pace was fast since the distance was only 10km.
- I solely continued to run in the rain.
- There were two water supply points.
- I completed first round without problem.
- I felt a little bit tireness around 7km point, but managed to run.
- I thought I could run faster than usual. However, the finished time was 50 minutes 04 seconds (Gross). Not so fast as I expected! (Net:49 minutes 10 seconds.)
- I ran carefully not to wet my shoes. However, after the race, both shoes and socks were completely wet.
- This was my first race to run in the heavy rain through the race. I prefer to run without rain!
- Even after the race, it was still raining. I was forced to leave the park hurriedly.
- It was only 13:15 when I came home!
About marathon race
- After finishing the race, you can get sports-drink, ice-candy, banana and tomato.
- It was nice to taste the ice-candy after the race. I think it was more delicious if it was fine weather.
- I think more young gals participated this time since the race was sponsored by "Runner's Magazine". However, to my regret, I could not enjoy the benefits, because the race for female was done separately.
- You can enter the race on the marathon day. However, the entery fee becomes higher.
- You can choose one gift from T-shirt, towel, tote bag if you enter in advance.
- At the park, I had a plan to meet "Mr. Shimizu in Tanashi city" who sent me an E-mail. I looked forward to running with him.
However, the plan was cancelled since he had to work on Sunday!
- Message to Mr. Shimizu! "LET'S RUN TOGETHER NEXT TIME!"