The 15th Narita POP Run
Date: Sunday November 4, 2001 Weather: Fine
Location: Narita City, Chiba Pref.
Details of Race: Refer to the 14th Narita POP Run
Start of Half-marathon Race
Record & Impression
- When I awaked in the dawn, it was still raining since it had started around the noon on Saturaday.
- According to the weather forecast, it would be fine on Sunday.
- I fiinally got out of bed at 4:30 AM, however, it was still rainy! I couldn't trust weatherman!
- Finally, the rain stopped when I left home at 5:30 AM. The blue sky started to appear in the cloud.
- It was cold in the morning of November. I hurried to Higashi-kurume station by bicycle in the dark.
- It takes much time (almost 3 hours) from my home to Narita City due to the fact that the trains from JR Tokyo to Narita are very limited.
- Anyway, I arrived in Narita station at 8:30 AM as I did so far. It took 10 minutes to the site from the station on foot.
- Three my running mates were to join me. However, to my regret, only one joined.
- So far, every year, I have joined half-marathon race. However, 3 years ago, I joined half-marathon race on two consecutive Sunday.
As a result, I hurted my left knee and was instructed by doctor to stop running for three months.
- This is my bad memory and thus I decided to join 10 km race this time since I joined Teganuma Half Marathon Race just 1 week ago.
- The 10 km race started at 10:15. Approx. 800 runners joined.
- It was fine and the sun was shining strongly as if it were summer. The weatherman said the temperature might be up to 20 degrees Centigrade.
- I joined the 10 km race after a long interval. Surely, the running pace of 10 km race seemd to be faster than that of half marathon race.
- Gradual upward road continued at the first half of the course.
- Since I usually train at flat course, it was hard for me to run even a short upward course.
- On the contrary, the last half of the course became downward. (The part of start/last courses duplicate those of half marathon race.)
- Just 40 minutes passed when I arrived in 8 km point.
- I thought I might finish within 50 minutes and I started to rush to the goal.
- It took more than 45 minutes when I passed 9 km point and I guessed it might be impossible to run within 50 minutes.
- Anyway, I tried my best to run as fast as possible , which was very hard for me.
- The goal time was 49 minutes 59 seconds!
- It seemed that more ladies and gals joined the 10 km race in comparison with half marathon race since the distance is reasonable.
- At the initial stage, I was running in the last part of the runners and thus I could run among the ladies for a while!
- Even after the goal, the sun was strongly shining. It seems that it was a little bit hotter for marathon race.
- After the race, we went to the eel restaurant and had a drink party as usual.
- I also met other my running mates there who joined 3 km race. We make it a rule to meet the restaurant every year after the race.
We drank, chatted and had a very good time.
- It's good to meet and drink with running mates after the race!