The 21th Tsukuba Marathon Race
Date: Sunday November 26, 2000 Weather: Fine & Warm!
Location: Tsukuba-city, Ibaraki Pref. (30 min. by bus from JR Tsuchiura station)
Details of Race: Refer to the 20th Tsukuba Marathon Race
Runners Magazine's VTR Car
IMPRESSION & RECORDS
- To my delight, the weather forecast was that it would be fine and the temperature would be up to 20 degrees Centigrade on Sunday.
- I left home earlier than usual at 6:00 AM this time. As forecasted, it was fine and cold in the morning.
- I just caught the train left on 7:05 AM at Nippori Station. It's so early that the train was not crowded. But most passengers were runners.
- The train reached Tsuchiura Station at 8:07 AM. A lot of runners got off. Fortunately, I could meet my running mates
around the exit although it was so crowded.
- We took on the "Marathon Bus" to the ground of Tsukuba University. The fee was Yen 590 which seems to be expensive
since it took less than 30 minutes.
- I arrived in the site more than 2 hours before the start this year.
Many runners were already there.
- It was still cold there contrary to the weather forecast. I wondered how I would wear for the race.
- Then, I decided to wear half-sleeve T shirt and short running pants beliving that the temperature would rise to 20 degrees in the afternoon. (It was a good choice!)
- Almost 6,000 runners stood on lines before start. I was late while I went to toilet and thus I was forced to stand almost in the last part of the lines.
- It was fine and warm. I felt very comfortable. I could enjoy the contrast between blue sky and yellow leaves of ginkgoe trees.
- I could not hear the starting signal at 10:30 AM. Moreover, it took more than 4 minutes to pass the starting line.
- The course was completely the same as that of last year.
- The crowded condition continued until I passed almost 8-km point and I felt stress since I could not maintain my own running pace.
- The leaves of the street trees were already falling this year. I could see Mt. Tsukuba far away at the right side in the initial stage.
- I could continue to run even after I passed 20 km point. (I slowed down after 20 km point last year.)
- I think I could run in best condition between 20 km and 30 km this time.
- I was stopped three times at the crossing owing to traffic restrictions. Such a restriction was not done last year.
I lost both my good running pace and time.
- The split time at 30 km was 2 hours 50 minutes which was the best time for me so far and I thought
I could complete the race in 4 hours.
- After passsing 30 km, I felt a littler bit pain on my foot, however, I tried to run as fast as possible.
- When I reached 40 km point, 3 hours 52 minutes passed. I managed to continue to keep my running pace.
- I rushed to the goal after I went into the track field. However, the goal time (Gross) was 4 hours 1 minutre 18 seconds owing to the loss time of 4 minutes
at the starting point.
- Anyway, I could finish the race in 3 hours 56 minutes 53 seconds (Net).
I was very much satisfied with the result. I could complete the full marathon race within 4 hours for the first time.
(The certificate was issued immediately after the goal.)
- After finishing the race, I went to the Chinese restaurant in front of Tsuchiura Station with my running mates.
All 13 members could finish the race! We toasted to the completion of the race with beer and hot Japanese Sake.
- I came back to my home around 20:00. The Tsukuba is also far away!
- Lady/gal runners are noticeable at Tsukuba race. You should join next time! By the way, I am of a opinion that the design of T-shirt is not good this year.
- While running, the middle-aged man cheered the group of middle-aged ladies who were running near me, saying "Keep going, Mom!"
Then, I heard they were severally saying "What a impolite!", "Damn it!" while running. I was chuckling to myself to hear those conversations.
They should have wanted to be called "Young lady or Miss!".
Split Time (It took more than 4 minutes to pass the starting line owing to lots of runners before me.)
|05 km|| 0 h 33 m|
|10 km|| 1 h 02 m|
|15 km|| 1 h 30 m|
|20 km|| 1 h 55 m|
|Middle Point|| 2 h 02 m|
|25 km|| 2 h 25 m|
|30 km|| 2 h 50 m|
|35 km|| 3 h 20 m|
|40 km|| 3 h 52 m|
|Goal|| 4 h 01 m 18 s (Gross)|
|Goal|| 3 h 56 m 53 s (Net)|
|Rank|| 2750 out of 5869|