The 21st Tachikawa Marathon Race
Date: Sunday March 10, 2002 Weather : Fine & Warm
Location: Tachikawa City, Tokyo
Details of Race : Refer to the 20th Tachikawa Marathon Race
- 5 km : 26 minutes
- Goal (10 km) : 51 minutes 13 seconds
About the race
- So far, I used to run half marathon race. However, I joined Sakura Full Marathon Race
just one week before. Therefore, I participated 10 km race this year.
- Since the registration of 10 km race was possible by 11:00 AM, I could leave my home after 9:00 AM.
- It was fine and warm. The temperature was expected to rise up to 19 degrees Centigrade. (No one might expect such warm
weather following freezing weather just one week before!)
- I arrived in Showa Memorial Park past 10:00 AM. (Nishi-tachikawa station of Ohme Line is
most convenient for access.)
- The half marthon race had already been done and the top runners reached the goal past 10:30 AM.
- The 10 km race started at 11:30 AM. The runners had to gather by 11:15 AM.
- Anyhow, the runners were to be lined according to age. The yonger, the closer to the starting line.
Thus I was almost the last part of the lines.
- The 10 km race requires two rounds of 5 km-course in the park. The road just after start was so crowded that I could not pass
others for a while.
- As forecasted, the temperature was going up and I sweated considerably while running.
- I joined 10 km race after a long interval. The distance was not so long and I tried to run
as fast as possible, but my pace slowed down during the second round, contrary to
- I should have run less than 50 minutes, however, actually, the goal time was 51 minutes 13 seconds.
- After the race, while waiting for my running mate who was behind me, I drank canned beer and
one-cup sake on the turf. It was warm and very comfortable.
- Then, as we had done, we went to the pub restaurant "Yoro no Taki" near Tachikawa station.
To my joy, the mistress of the pub remembered me although I visted there every once a year!
She offered us special dishes!
- We drank/talked and enjoyed very much.
- A lot of university students join the race every year.
- It may be more enjoyable to participate the race with family members.