Kasumigaura Marathon Race (The 16th)
Date: Sunday, April 16, 2006 Weather: Cloudy then occasionally rainy
Location: Tsuchiura City, Ibaraki Pref.
Records & Impression
- Weekly weather forecast had been saying that it would be rainy on Sunday.
- As I always tell, I am "a man of sunny day" who brings clear skies. So, usually, even if the weekly weather forecast is rainy, the day
when the marathon race is held, the actual weather is always sunny.
- However, this time, contrary to my expectation, the weekly weather forecast on Sunday had continued to be rainy until on Sunday morning!
Furthermore, the maximum temperature was expected to be around 13 degrees Centigrade.
It would be the worst condition for me. I was reluctant to go out. However, I decided to join the race preparing for the rainy race.
- When I woke up around 5:00 AM. it was already rainy, which proved the
correctness of the weather forecast.
- I left home around 6:00 AM. Fortunately, the rain stopped, but it was cold.
- I took on the train of the Joban Line with my running mate from Ueno Station. We could occupy the square seats.
- The weather in the metropolitan area was cloudy. I thought it would start rain shortly.
However, when the train was approaching Tsuchiura Station, the blue sky appeared and even the sun appeared.
I was delighted that I could prove that I am a man of sunny weather!
- I arrived in Tsuchiura at 8:42 AM. It was still cloudy and cold.
- I reached the marathon site at 9:00 AM. Although the sun disappeared, it seemed that the rain would not start for a while.
- Owing to the weather forecast of rain and cold, I did not take a half-sleeve shirt. Thus I wore a long-sleeve shirt
and half pants for the race.
- The full marathon race would start at 10:00 AM. I stood very close to the start line as I did last year.
The temperature was around 7 degrees Centigrade. It's cool.
- The loss time to the start line was almost 40 seconds.
- I started to run at my own running pace. A lot of runners passed me.
- I hoped that the rain would not start. However, to my regret, the rain started when passing
around 8 km point. Cold rain! Soon it began raining in real earnest and small pools start to appear on the road.
My wears were getting wet. I was worrying about the weather condition to the goal.
- Anyway, the rain sometimes weakened, but continued until passing 30 km point.
- I felt hungry around 15 km point. However, at the initial half stage of the course, only water and sport drink were available. Thus
I took out chocolates from my waist-bag and took them to supply the energy.
- I could finally get banana at the aid station after I passed the middle-point.
I also took "Amino Vital" as supplement. I could refresh a little bit.
- At the second stage, I could see a lot of private aid stations. I found out "Onigiri: Rice ball& at one of such aid stations. (around 25 km point)
I took it with thanks. It was a big rice ball made of seasoned rice. I could revive.
- It was getting warmer after 30 km point since the rain stopped.
- From 30 km to 35 km, I could run at the pace of more than my expectation.
- My running pace slowed down around 40 km point. But I tried to catch up with young lady who was running just in front of me and thus
the time at 40 km was 3 hours 45 minutes. I would finish the race within 4 hours again.
- I could pass the young lady during the last 2 km although it was so hard.
- I felt the last 1 km to the goal was so long.
- Finally I reached the goal. The goal time was 3 hours 56 minutes.
- I celebrated the goal with my running mates with canned beer.
- We had an after-the-race party at nice Japanese pub located a little bit far from Tsuchiura Station.
We drank hot Japanese sake to warm up.
- In the train bound for Ueno, we also had a drink party with sake brought by me.
It was delicious sake made in Shizuoka Pref. We were drunken.
- I came home around 19:00. I was satisfied that I could complete the race within 4 hours again.
- Next race may be in October. Until then, I will train as much as possible.
| 5 km||27 minutes|
|10 km||54 minutes|
|15 km||1 hour 16 minutes|
|20 km||1 hour 48 minutes|
|Middle Point||1 hour 54 minutes|
|25 km||2 hours 23 minutes|
|30 km||2 hours 46 minutes|
|35 km||3 hours 16 minutes|
|40 km||3 hours 43 minutes|
|Goal||3 hours 56 minutes|