Sakura Marathon Race (The 26th)
Date: Sunday, March 25, 2007 Weather: Heavy Rain, Strong Wind
Location: Sakyra City, Chiba Pref.
Record & Impression
- The weekly weather forecast had been saying that it would be rainy on Sunday.
- It seems that I became a "Rain Man" who invites the rainy weather since 2007 Tokyo Marathon Race.
- When I woke up at 4:00 AM on Sunday morning, it had already been lightly raining.
- I switched on the TV to watch the latest weather forecast. The weatherman said it would rain heavily daytime!
- I left home at 6:00 AM. It started raining heavily and I almost got wet to the skin when I reached the station.
- I took on the limited express train of Keisei Line from Nippori Station as usual.
I could not meet my running mate there.
- I arrived in Keisei Sakura Station at 8:03 AM. It was still raining!
A lot of runners were waiting for free shuttle bus.
It seemed to take much time to ride on the bus and thus I decided to walk to the marathon site.
The rain was not so heavy while walking. It was not cold. I walked as quickly as possible and I sweated very much by the time I reached the site.
- After the registration, it began raining in real earnest.
It was difficult to change the wears in the heavy rain.
- The seats under the roof of the stadium were already occupied.
- Fortunately I found that the gymnasium of the primary school closely located to the athletic field was
open to the runners.
- So I rushed to the gymnasium. However, it was almost occupied by lots of runners.
- I managed to keep the space for myself and changed the wears.
- After changing the wears, I went out into the rain to find out my running mates, however, in vain.
- As forecasted, the rain and wind became stronger.
- The full marathon race would start at 9:30 AM. I lined up around 9:15 AM in the heavy rain with vinyl bag fitted.
- 2,800 runners started at a time. No one cared for heavy rain.
- This is my second experience to start the full marathon race in the heavy rain following to the 2007 Tokyo Marathon Race.
- I felt that the rain and wind were heavier than those of Tokyo Marathon race.
But I should be thankful that it was not cold.
- We were forced to run against the strong wind until we reached Keisei Sakura Station. I got sore when big drops of rain hit my skin.
- A lot of big puddles appeared on the road and my shoes got fully wet.
- Anyway, I tried to catch up with runners around me in the heavy rain and wind.
I had no leeway to see the scenery.
- Although running condition was worst, I could pass the middle point after 1 hour 51 minutes from the start.
- The rain once weakened, but shortly the heavy rain and wind resumed.
I exhausted myself since I frequently had to run against heavy rain and wind.
The black clouds were hanging low in the sky. A real spring storm!
- I felt tired while I was running along side Imbanuma Lake after 25 km point.
However, the rain did not seem to stop.
- The passing time at 30 km point was 2 hours 40 minutes. It seemed I might complete within 4 hours.
- The rain finally stopped after 30 km point. My running pace slowed down, but I tried to run as fast as possible.
- It was hard for me to run the last 10 km to the goal.
I passed 40 km point after 3 hours 40 minutes from the start.
- I felt that the last 2 km was the longest. My running pace completely slowed down. I could not forward my foot.
To make the matter worse, the rain started again.
I even felt cold since I threw away my vinyl bag around 35 km point since I felt hot.
- The running pace at the last slope to the athletic filed was almost the same as walking.
More than 10 runners passed me.
- Anyway, I could finish the race. The goal time was 3 hours 55 minutes. I could complete within 4 hours.
During the race, I thought I might finish around three hours forty-five minutes, but I could not.
- I cannot finish the full marathon races with ease. I recognized that the full marathon race is profound.
- After getting finisher certificate, I went back to the gymnasium to change wears.
- I brought several canned beers to drink with my running mates after the race, but I had to drink by myself this time. Anyway, I felt good after drinking one canned beer.
- I rushed to the bus stop to get back to the station. I happened to meet my running mate while walking to the bus stop.
- We got back to the station and went to the Chinese restaurant to have after-the-race party as usual.
I enjoyed drinking Japanese sake there.
- I came across the group from Tsudanuma City at the restaurant and said hello each other.
- I could come home around 18:00. Earlier than I expected.
- This race was one of the worst running conditions. I completely exhausted!
I prefer to run on sunny day while enjoying the scenery.
- Several young gals were running in the heavy rain and wind. I would like to salute them with cheers.
| 5 km||26 minutes|
|15 km||1 hour 187 minutes|
|20 km||1 hour 45 minutes|
|Middle Point||1 hour 51 minutes|
|30 km||2 hours 40 minutes|
|35 km||3 hours 10 minutes|
|40 km||3 hours 40 minutes|
|Goal||3 hours 55 minutes|