Tazawako Lake Marathon Race (The 22nd)
Date: Sunday, September 16, 2007 Weather: Rainy
Location: Senboku City, Akita Pref.
Details of RaceRefer to the 17th Tazawako Lake Marathon Race.
Records & Impression
- Saturday, September 15
- I got on the overnight bus bound for Morioka at 22:40 from Ikebukuro.
The bus was fully occupied.
- I could not sleep well since the ride quality was not so good.
Anyway, I waked up around 5:30 AM.
- The driver said it took much time to get out of metropolitan area.
Therefore, the bus arrived in JR Morioka Station around 6:50 AM. It was a delay of 30 minutes.
It glazed over in Morioka.
- I got off Morioka for the first time. The station was bigger than I expected.
I looked for the restaurant for breakfast around the station.
- All I could found was "Matsuya" restaurant only since it was so early in the morning.
I was forced to enter there. The taste of breakfast set was not so good as I expected.
I preferred McDonald's, but I couldn't find it.
- When entering into "Matsuya", I saw three young ladies putting on their faces with single-minded devotion
at the counter. I was surprised to see it. Maybe, they had just arrived by overnight bus.
I couldn't understand the behavior of recent young people.
- After the breakfast, I started to stroll the town of Morioka.
First, I headed for Iwate Park. It took only 15 minutes after crossing Kitakami River.
It was a spacious park with only castle ruin of stonewalls.
- Then I walked to HOONJI-temple, where woodcarving 500 Rakans are put on the shelves of RAKANDO (Statues Hall).
- I reached the temple at 9:00. No one was there except me.
I worshiped 500 Rakans together with Rhushana-butsu in the dark RAKANDO. I felt
strange atmosphere standing alone in the dark RAKANDO.
It was completely silent world. I devoted myself completely to the world of different dimension for a while.
- Speaking of Iwate Pref., Takuboku Ishikawa, a poet, is famous.
Therefore, I went to see the house where Takuboku spent only a few months when he just got married.
- A simple house was conserved beside the broad street.
- I got on train of the Akita Shinkansen at 10:26 bound for Akita.
- I reached Kakunodate at 11:15. It was fine and hot there.
- I deposited by luggage to the hotel and started strolling the town of Kakunodate.
It was so hot like mid-summer.
- Kakunodate is famous sightseeing site and a lot of tourists were visiting there.
Especially, the area of old samurai residences was crowded.
- I visited all famous samurai residences.
However, I was disappointed to see many souvenir shops and restaurants for visitors in samurai residences.
I could see commercialism there.
- Finally, I strolled alongside Hinokinai River.
There was a row of cherry blossom trees on the bank. It seemed that cherry in full bloom would be marvelous.
I could see clear stream of the river. A lot of anglers were enjoying Ayu (sweetfish) fishing.
- I felt asleep while walking owing to lack of sleep in the overnight bus.
- I checked in the hotel at 14:30.
- I decided to go to "Kakunodate Hotspa" which I found while strolling.
The guests of Spa were a few and the old lady of fee collector's stand seemed to be idle.
- I only took a towel for Spa; however, I was at a loss to learn that there was no soap and shampoo available in the bathtub.
I told to the old lady that I did not have soap and shampoo, and then she gave me a pack of soap and shampoo free of charge in secret.
I thanked her.
- It was still daytime and no one was in the bathtub except me. I enjoyed hot bathing.
When returning to the hotel, I bought a canned beer and drank it. I felt very good.
- I visited the restaurant just in front of the hotel for dinner. I found a bowl of rice topped with famous local boiled chicken and eggs in the menu
and ordered it. It was delicious, but the chicken was a little bit hard.
- I had a good and gracious time today.
Entrance of house
- Sunday, September 16
- I got up around 5:00 AM. It seemed that the rain just started.
- According to the weather forecast in the morning,
the chance of rain was 100% in Akita Pref. Furthermore, heavy rain and thunderstorm warning was issued!
Oh my God! I don't like thunderstorm!
- I had been joining the marathon races in the rain since Tokyo Marathon Race.
- The rain started past 6:00 AM. Then It rained heavily.
- I checked out at 6:45. Fortunately, the rain stopped while walking to the station.
- I took on the local train at 7:22 and arrived in Tazawako Station at 7:41.
- I took on the free shuttle bus. It seemed that the rain almost re-started.
It took 15 minutes to reach the marathon site. The rain started.
- After registration, I hastened to the tent for runners. The tent was crowded with runners and I managed to
get the place for changing wears. The heavy rain continued. I could not get out of the tent. I was forced to wait
in the tent by 10:00 AM for start.
- The rain fell more gently around 9:30.
I lined on the start point around 9:45. The rain almost stopped.
- On starting, the drizzle started, but it was hot and humid.
- In the first half, runners had to run to JR Tazawako Station and return to the starting point.
The intermittent rain continued. It had been hot until I came back to the staring point.
When joining the race previously, it was fine and hot and I was exhausted in the first half.
However, this time, the condition was better than that of previous one.
The cheers of gallery served as a source of encouragement.
I responded them by waving my hand.
- However, this was the first marathon race of this reason. Thus my running condition was not well prepared as yet.
The time at 20km was 1 hour 51 minutes. There was no mark at the middle point, but my passing time might be around 2 hours.
I thought it might be impossible to finish the race within 4 hours.
- Anyway, I decided to complete the race regardless of finishing time.
- It was very hard to run up the last slope to Tazawako Lake.
I managed to reach the entrance of the round-trip course of Tazawako Lake.
- Intermittent rain still continued. It was getting cooler and it was good for running.
- At first, I enjoyed seeing blue water of Tazawako Lake and green of the road. However,
I was getting tired of them owing to lack of changes.
- I devoted myself to running. I felt it was so long to reach 30 km point.
The distance to the Tatsuko Girl Figure was 32 km.
I felt exhausted. My running pace drastically slowed down.
- Long slope started from the point named "Kappa Deep".
A lot of runners started to walk. I ran up as slowly as possible. The pace was almost the same as that of cow.
- Then the sharp descent started. There were several ups-and-downs in the round-trip course. I was completely
- The running pace further slowed down until 40 km point.
many runners passed me, but I could not catch up with them.
- Only banana was available at each aid station.
But I could get a rice ball at 40 km aid station.
- I got energy with rice ball and refreshed. My running pace recovered and
rushed to the goal.
- However, the finish time was 4 hours 29 minutes contrary to my expectation.
I had never walked. The condition was better than that of previous time, but the finishing time was worse.
- Heavy rain started as soon as I finished.
I got free rice and Miso soup. I took them under the tent. I completely got wet to the skin.
I had a plan to take a bath at hot spa. However, I gave up it owing to heavy rain.
- I hasened to change the wears and got on free shuttle bus to the station.
- The bus reached the station at 15:40. I took on the local train bound for Morioka just 30 seconds
before start. I almost missed the train. I didn't have a time to buy a canned beer.
- The train stopped many times and finally arrived in Morioka Station at
- I had a return ticket of overnight bus. But I cancelled it and bought a ticket of Shinkansen,
- I bought the following three souvenirs: Nambu iron kettle,
Nambu rice cracker, Nambu beautiful lady (Name of local sake).
I took Morioka cold needle as supper before entering into Shinkansen.
- I enjoyed drinking canned beer and Japanese sake in the train as usual.
- I safely got home around 23:00. I got tired.
|05 km||27 minutes|
|10 km||54 minutes|
|15 km||1 hour 22 minutes|
|20 km||1 hour 51 minutes|
|25 km||2 hours 22 minutes (?)|
|30 km||2 hours ?? minutes|
|40 km||4 hours 13 minutes|
|Goal||4 hours 29 minutes|