Kasumigaura Marathon Race (The 28th)
Date: Sunday, April 20, 2008 Weather: Cloudy then drizzling
Location: Tsuchiura City, Ibaraki Pref.
T Shirt Design
Records & Impression
- I left home before 6:00 AM. It was cloudy and cold. It would be cloudy and then sunny.
- I had a drink party with my running mates here on Saturday night after running 10 km at daytime.
Thus I felt that I still had alcohol in my body. Anyway, I got on the local train bound for Katsuta of Joban Line from Nippori Station.
I managed to get seat. Then I started to fall asleep.
- I waked up before the train arrived in Tsuchiura Station. But I found that the train was crowded with runners
before I knew it.
- The train reached Tsuchiura station at 7:59. The platform was so crowded with runners that it took much time
to get out of the exit of the station. The line of runners' followed to the marathon site.
- This time, I could meet with my two running mates.
- I was surprised to learn that the numbers of runners this year were almost 20,000,
according to the announcement, which was almost the double of that of last year.
- It was due to the fact that the addition of the 5-km part this year and the marathon boom by Tokyo Marathon Race.
I understood that the platform was so crowded. The numbers of full marathon race runners was almost 10,000!
- Contrary to the weather forecast, the sky was still covered with thick cloud layer.
Also the cold wind was blowing.
- I was wondering if half-sleeve T-shirt was OK for today's weather conditions. Finally, I decided to wear half-sleeved T-shirt
based on the today's weather forecast.
- The full marathon race started at 10:00 AM as usual. It was still cloudy and cold.
Since I managed to get into the leading group at the start, the loss time was only one minute.
- I could run at my normal running pace to 10-km point.
- I felt hungry around 15-km point. I tried to put some sweet buns into my mouth at next aid station.
- Lately the 20-km point is my barrier. I tried to pass this point as early as possible.
However, the passing time of middle-point was 1 hour 57 minutes, which was almost the same as that of previous Sakura Marathon Race.
- It seemed that the weather would not recover. The cold wind was still blowing. To make the matter worse, it started drizzling
after passing middle-point.
- I had to go to toilet around 25 km. When I retuned from the toilet, the group with sub-four pacemakers was just passing.
Unfortunately, I had no energy to catch up with them any more.
- It was hard for me to continue to run after 25 km. But I tried to run with gut.
- I felt it was so far from 25 km to 30 km.
- I could have rice balls and hot tea at privately established aid station around 34 km and could refresh.
The rice ball is better than Daifuku-mochi.
- I saw a lot of runners started to walk after 35 km point. Passing them, I continued to run.
- I managed to reach 40 km point and I felt relived a little.
I only had to run 2 km. I tried to run as fast as possble to the goal.
- My goal time was 4 hours 8 minutes. Although I could not complete the race within 4 hours, it was my best record of this marathon season.
- After the race, I cheered with my running mates by canned beer.
Suddenly the sun appeared and the temperature rose. It was good for drinking beer. But shortly after, the sun
went into the cloud.
- Then we went to the restaurant in the super-market in front of the station for another drinking.
- I wanted to drink Japanese sake there, however, to my regret, only draft beer was served.
Anyway, we drink draft beer and Gyoza there.
- Since I was not satisfied with beer, I bought one-cup Japanese sake at the Kiosk and drank it in the train.
with my running mate.
- I slept in the train, but I could wake up at Nippori Station.
I got home around 7:00 PM.
- Somehow, I felt exhausted when I got home. I don't know why. Maybe too much drink at Saturday night with my running mates.
- I could see a lot of running gals with fashionable running wears. Pink running wears are my favorite.
- I saw many runners with costume. I saw one nurse with pink wear at the aid station. First, I thought she was a member of
emergency and rescue team. However, she started to run. She was one of marathon runners!
| 5 km||28 minutes|
|10 km||54 minutes|
|15 km||1 hour 21 minutes|
|20 km||1 hour 50 minutes|
|Middle Point||1 hour 57 minutes|
|30 km||2 hours 50 minutes|
|40 km||3 hours 55 minutes|
|Goal||4 hours 08 minutes|