Tsumagoi-kogen Cabbage Marathon Race (The 1st)
Date: Sunday, June 1, 2008 Weather: Fine
Location: Tsumagoi Village, Agatsuma-gun, Gumma Pref. (By bus from Manza/Kazawa Station of JR Agatsuma Line)
Record & Impression
- The running club I belong will celebrate 10th anniversary this year.
- Every year, the club will have a overnight residential training.
This year, the residential training was made from May 31, 2008 to June 1, 2008 at Tsumagoi Kogen as the 10th anniversary.
And all members had to join the cabbage marathon race to be held on June 1, 2008.
- However, the cold rain was falling all day on May 31 and thus we were forced to
get into the lodge without enough training. Instead, we enjoyed drinking hot sake.
- On the other hand, on June 1, 2008, it was fine weather.
All members started to jog 3 km from 6:00 AM in the green of the forest road and refreshed.
- After breakfast, we went to the marathon site by bus around 8:00 AM.
The marathon site was a large cabbage consolidating area Of JA (Japan Agricultural Cooperatives).
- Total number of runners was around 2,300 this time.
Classes: Half, 10 km, 5 km, 2 km with pair. I joined 10 km race.
- The opening ceremony started from 9;00 AM.
It's the first race. The village mayor announced that he wanted the race to be number one in the future.
- The quest runner was Ms. Masako Chiba. She had a small build than I expected.
She gave a salute in a husky voice.
- First, the half marathon race started at 10:10 AM. The course of half marathon race would make 2-round of
that of 10 km race. Therefore, I gave up to join the half marathon race,
- The 10 km race started at 10:20.
- Shortly after the start, the upward slope continued to the 3-km point.
It was hard to run since the body was not ready to run up the slope.
The running speed was also slow. However, as I continued to run, the height was up and I could see
magnificent Mr. Asama just the left of the front. When I turned back, I could see
Mt. Ibarakiyama far away.
- Soon the course was turned to the left and the
rolling course continued to the 5-km point.
- Then, suddenly, the downward slope continued.
Everybody quickly ran down. I tried to catch up with them and ran down.
- However, unexpectedly, the gradual upward slope started just before the goal.
It was very hard to run the last slope.
- The goal time was 54 minutes, which I was satisfied.
- I did not felt tired at all after the race. I found the canned beer in the site. I enjoy drinking cold beer while waiting other members
coming back from half marathon race.
- I also found the Kimchi (Korean pickle) made from cabbage and celery cabbage produced in Tsumagoi Kogen
and I bought them as souvenir. (They were very delicious.)
- When all members gathered, we left the marathon site, but I found there were still running and walking
runners on the course although almost 3 hours passed.
- It goes without saying that we had a gorgeous after-the-race party in the limited express train
bound for Tokyo.