Sano Marathon Race (The 5th)
Date: Sunday, December 13, 2009 Weather: Cloudy, then occasionally sunny
Location: Sano City, Tochigi Pref.
Details of Race:Refer to the fourth Sano Marathon Race
Long-sleeve T-shirt design
|5 km||28 minutes|
|10 km||55 minutes|
|15 km||1 hour 22 minutes|
|20 km||1 hour 49 minutes|
|25 km||2 hours 13 minutes|
|30 km||2 hours 43 minutes|
|35 km||3 hours 13 minutes|
|Goal||3 hours 58 minutes|
- I left home at 5:20 AM. It was cloudy and cold. The weatherman said it would be getting sunny.
- I arrived in Sano Station at 7:554 AM via the same route as those of last year.
- Two times of runners made a line for shuttle buses in front of the station
compared with the number of last year. Thus I could not get on the first bus and was forced to wait for the second bus.
- It took only 10 minutes to reach the marathon site this year since there was no traffic jam.
- Last year the reception was set very close to the athletic field. However, this year, runners had to go to
the gymnastics a little bit far from the athletic field. I did not know there was gymnastics last year.
I wondered if the runners could use the gymnastics last year when it was rainy.
- The location where the reception was set last year was used as luggage deposit.
I could understand the reason why the reception was re-located.
- After finishing the registration, I changed the wears and deposited the luggage.
(Free of charge!)
- The opening ceremony started from 9:00 AM. It was announced that the number of runners for full marathon race
was doubled this year. (From 1,000 to 2,000) That's the reason why the shuttle buses were so crowded.
- Although the marathon is getting more and more popular among young gals,
they seems not to have interested in the marathon race in countryside.
Only the middle-aged male runners increased.
- The guest runner was Mr. Seko. His speech was interesting with humor.
(Someone said his speech was always the same!) He said he would join 5-km race.
- I was looking for my running mates; however, I could not find them before start.
- The full marathon race started at 10:00 AM. It was still cloudy and cold.
- The number of runners was not so many and thus almost no loss time after start.
- Shortly after the start, I was passed by my two running mates.
I promised them to see after 4 hours 30 minutes.
- Soon the sun appeared and it became a little bit warm.
I started to sweat a bit since I wore thick long-sleeve shirt.
- The time at 5 km was 28 minutes. 10 km: 55 minutes. Normal running pace for me.
- Last year, I was forced to run in cold rain. However, it was fine and an ideal day for marathon.
I ran seeing desolate wintry mountains.
- It took long time for me to reach the upward 15-km turn-around from 10 km point.
- 20-km: 1 hour 49 minutes, Middle point: 1 hour 55 minutes. Good pace!
- After 20-km point, my running pace was up!
25-km point: 2 hours 13 minutes. Good time after an long interval.
- I could keep the pace. 30-km point: 2 hours 43 minutes,
35-km point: 3 hours 13 minutes. I could finish within 4 hours.
- Eating a big rice ball made by myself might achieve a successful outcome.
- I strived to run from 30 km to 35 km.
- However, my running pace started to slow down at 5 km point to the goal.
It seemed that I exerted myself too much.
- Anyway, I managed to reach the 2 km point to the goal.
However, I was exhausted. The pace further slowed down.
I was passed by many runners. I was almost about to finish the race within 4 hours!
- I tried to run as much as possible with clenched teeth, but the pace was
- I had to run last 1 km with my last energy, but it was so hard to death.
- Anyway, I could finish 3 hours 58 minutes. I was burned out.
- After changing the wear, I got free pork soup with vegetable.
- Then I could meet running mates. I thought they finished earlier than me. However, I was the first one.
- We got back to Sano Station by shuttle bus. While it was a short ride, anyhow, I got carsickness.
- Anyway, we got into Sano Noodle restaurant.
I had a glass of draft beer, however, I felt bad and had no appetite.
I excused them and had to leave by myself.
- I got on the local train of Ryomo Line bound for Oyama at 15:22.
This time, I found Ryomo Line was double track. I had thought it was single track.
- I could get home earlier than expected (before 19:00)
- I could finish the race within 4 hours after one-year interval.
However, I had to pay the price. I may
not make an excessive run any more.
- I got damage on my body. I had a difficulty in walking up/down the
stairs at the station on the following morning.