Sakura Marathon Race (The 29th)
Date: Sunday, March 28, 2010 Weather: Cloudy
Location: Sakura City, Chiba Pref.
- According to the first weekly weather forecast, it would be sunny on Sunday.
However, the weather forecast was changing as the weekend was nearing.
To my regret, the latest weather forecast was "Cloudy then rainy". To get the matter worse, it would be cold.
I had to prepare thick long-sleeve running wear instead of half-sleeve one.
- Since a few days ago, I had been having a runny nose. I didn't know it was due to
cold or pollen allergen. Therefore, I had been wearing mask and had cold medication.
- However, my condition was not so good on Sunday.
Anyway, I went out with mask at 5:20 AM. As forecasted, it was cloudy and cold.
- I took on the limited Express of Keisei Line from Nippori at 6:48. I was fortunate to get seat.
Every time the train stopped, runners got on and the train was full of runners.
- The train reached Sakura around 7:15. The platform was filled with runners and it took much time to get out.
- A lot of runners made line at the bus stop for the shuttle bus. I gave up to get on the bus and started to walk to the marathon site.
- I walked as first as possible and it took around 25 minutes to arrive in the marathon site.
The site was already so crowded with runners. I registered and rushed to the stadium to meet my running mates.
- Although I could meet one of my running mates, the seats of the stadium were fully occupied by the runners and there was no room for changing wears.
We were forced to move to other area. Anyway, our four members could finally meet before the start.
(One of them was a young gal!)
- The full marathon race started at 9:30 AM. This year, 6,000 runners joined. I made line as closely as start line and thus the loss time was
30 seconds. The cold wind was still blowing. I decided to run wearing mask.
- The narrow downward road continued from the start for a while. The course was so crowded with runners and it was dangerous.
- The time at 5 km was 28 minutes. I regretted since I thought I ran faster than usual, but the time was the same as usual.
- The time at 10 km was the same. The cold wind did not stop.
- I missed the 15 km indication plate, but I was passed by the groups of 4-hour pace makers past 15 km.
- Four 4-hour pace makers were running at interval of 10 meters. I thought it was a good idea since each group
of runners was not so big.
- This time, I could not catch up with them any more.
I felt that I gave up to complete the race within 4 hours.
- The time at 30 km was almost the same as usual, but after 30 km, my running pace was slowing down.
- I continued to run patiently, however, the cold driving wind started to hit me around
35 km. My body was getting cold. The body did not warm up and my hands were numbed with cold although I wore globes.
- I could not stand and I stopped to wear vinyl bag. It was a good idea. I could protect my body from the cold.
I should have worn it from the beginning.
- Moreover, I started to feel pain in my knee after 35 km. I had never had such experience lately.
The running pace further slowed down. The pace was almost the same as that of walking.
I felt it was so far to reach the goal during the last 5 km.
- I gave up to continue to run at 39 km point. I repeated run and walk for a while.
Thus the time at 40 km was over 4 hours.
- Anyway, I again continued to run the last 2 km. It was so hard to run up the last slope to enter the athletic field.
I was passed by many runners until I completed the race.
- The finish time was 4 hours 20 minutes. It was almost the same as that of Iwaki Marathon Race.
The course of Iwaki Marathon Race was varied, but the course of Sakura was almost flat. Thus the time of today was not so good for me.
- Anyway, the goal seemed to be very far this time.
- I joined the race with my running mates after a long interval.
The gal runner joined the full marathon race for the first time and she could admirably complete the race
within five hours.
- We went back to Funabashi Station and got off there to have a drink party.
- We found a Japanese pub in front of the station and had a big party.
We had a good time. There was a cheerful atomosphere owing to young gal.
I could warm up my body with hot Japanese Sake.
- I returned home around 19:30. Anyway, it was a cold marathon race.
It was hard to run with mask. The cherry blossom was still bud owing to cold.
|5 km||28 minutes|
|10 km||55 minutes|
|20 km||1 hour 52 minutes|
|Middle-point||1 hour 58 minutes|
|25 km||2 hours 21 minutes|
|30 km||2 hours 50 minutes|
|35 km||3 hours 23 minutes|
|40 km||4 hours 02 minutes|
|Goal||4 hours 20 minutes|