Tsukuba Marathon Race (The 30th)
Date: Sunday, November 28, 2010 Weather: Sunny
Location: Tsukuba City, Ibaraki Pref.
Details of Race:Refer to the 20th Tsukuba Marathon Race.
Record & Impression
- Since I just came back from business trip to Europe on Friday night, I was worrying about the fatigue and
lack of training to join the race.
- The entry of Tsukuba marathon race was limited by Internet only from this year. Since the race was so popular lately, the
application was stopped within a few hours from the start.
I luckily could enter the race.
- According to the weather forecast, it would be sunny and warm on Sunday and the temperature
would be up to 17 degrees Centigarde. It would be hot rather than warm for marathon race,
- Anyway, I left home before 6:00 AM. It was still dark and cold. The Venus was glowing in the lightning eastern sky.
- As usual, I arrived in Kenkyu-gakuen Station of Tsukuba Express Line via Seibu and Musashino Lines.
I took on the train of Tsukuba Express Line from Minami-Nagareyama Station around 7:00 AM. Although it was so early
in the morning and on Sunday, the train was extraordinary crowded.
The line to the bus stop from the exit of Kenkyu-gakuen Station was longer compared with that of last year.
According to the bus driver, 50 extra buses were prepared,
however, it took almost 30 minutes for me to take on the bus.
- It took 20 minutes to reach the marathon site. A lot of runners were already there, but I could mange to
meet my running mates.
- The full marathon race would start at 9:30 AM. When I reach the site, it was still cold although the
in the sunshine.
- The direction of start of this year was completely reverse compared with that of last year.
It was so warm when started.
- When passing 5 km point outside the campus, I felt hot rather than warm when running. I started to sweat. It was a good idea
to wear Half-sleeve T-shirt.
- The course got narrower after 10 km point and was crowded with runners.
It was hard to pass the other runners. However, a several runners managed to pass others
in a high-handed manner by touching their elbows to others.
I felt runners who misplace manners are increasing in accordance with the increase of
- During the front half, it was hot in the sunshine, but it became suddenly cool in the shaded area.
- Before reaching 15 km point, I was passed by the 4-hour pace-maker runner. I could not catch up with him anymore.
- The time at middle-point was 2 hours 3 minutes. It was already impossible to
complete the race within 4 hours.
- The sweet bean paste soup with rice cakes was served as usual before 30 km point.
- This time, I had a tough time of running from 30 km point to the goal.
I was passed many young gals. What a pity!
- I tried to run without walking as much as possible.
It was so hard for me to continue to run shutting out idle thoughts from my mind.
- However, I could not put idle thoughts out of my mind.
Therefore, I decided to listen to the radio to change the mood before 35 km point.
I started to run listening the music of American Forces Network. It was effective and
I could managed to continue to run.
- The course was slightly upward just after 35 km point and I could not run up and finally started to
walk for 100 meters.
- I arrived in the point 5 km to the goal; However, I felt each 1 km was so long.
- I felt it was so far to reach the second turn-around point in the campus (The distance may be
1. 5 km ?), I was disgusted, but I had to continue to run.
- I was passed by the 4.5-hour pace-maker runner around 38 km.
What am I going to say?
- It had been sunny and very warm. Therefore, I was always thirsty during the second half.
Every time I reach the aid station, I only drank water and did not eat brad or banana.
That's might be the reason why I could not recover the running pace during the second half.
- Anyway, I ran as much as possible during the last 2 km to the goal.
- The finish time was 4 hours 30 minutes as I expected before start.
- The time limit of this race was 6 hours. It was announced that 12.2 thousands runners completed the race
within 6 hours. (Less than 10 thousand runners last year.)
- I waited with other running mates until our female running mate finish the race (5 hours 40 minutes)
and finally toast with a canned beer for celebrating the completion of the race.
- We did not have an after-the-race party at Japanese pub this time and
fell out by twos and threes.
- I returned to Kenkyu-gakuen Station by bus. However, there was a lomng line to the bus stop.
It took much time to get on the bus.
- I finally got home around 19:30. Tsukuba is so far away.
- A lot of female runners joined the race, however, to my regret, I could not afford to watch
gals while running this time also. I was forced to complete the race during the second half.
- Thankfully, I did not felt exhausted after the race and I could work without
muscular aches and pains next day.
- I re-recognize that it is inevitable to join the race under the best condition.
Record (Loss time: approx. 3 minutes)
|5 km||31 minutes|
|10 km||59 minutes|
|15 km||1 hour 28 minutes|
|20 km||2 hour 03 minutes|
|25 km||2 hours 26 minutes|
|30 km||3 hours 01 minutes|
|35 km||3 hours 38 minutes|
|40 km||34 hours 15 minutes|
|Goal||4 hours 30 minutes|