Tazawako Lake Marathon Race (The 26th)
Date: Sunday, September 18, 2011 Weather: Cloudy occasionally heavy rain shower
Location: Senboku City, Akita Pref.
Details of RaceRefer to the 17th Tazawako Lake Marathon Race.
Records & Impression
- Saturday, September 17
- This time, I used Shinkansen outward and homeward. I lodged at Ohmagari.
According to weekend weather forecast, it would rain heavily in Akita Prefecture.
I was worrying about it.
- Anyway, I got on the train at 13:34 from Ueno Station. The seats were fully occupied owing to
- As forecasted, it became rainy when the train entered into the Tohoku District.
I could see the dull-colored sceneries from the train window.
- I arrived in Ohmagari at 17:22. It was also rainy there and already darkish.
I checked in the hotel beside the station.
- After checking, I went to the nearby supermarket to get the food and drink.
I could see no pedestrians and the market was also quiet. I wondered if the situation
was normal. If so, how desolate it was.
- After returning to the hotel, I drank locally brewed Japanese sake and had a box lunch as supper.
- The weatherman said it would be rainy next day and heavy rain warning was announced in Akita Pref.
- Sunday, September 18
- I got up past 5:00 AM. I heard the sound of heavy falling rain during the night.
It was still rainy in the early morning.
- According to the morning weather forecast, the situation was the same as that of last night.
- I took simple breakfast and check out the hotel around 6:40 AM.
When arriving in the station, the rain stopped. I took on the local train bound for
Morioka. The train left at 7:01. I could see a lot of runners in the train.
I could also see the yellow field of rice ready for harvest from the window.
- The train arrived in Tazawako Station at 7:41 AM. I rushed to the bus stop of free shuttle bus.
A lot of runners rushed in the bus. Unfortunately, the bus was so crowded that I could not get
- I thought it would take only 15 minutes to the marathon site. However,
owing to heavy traffic jam, the bus could move unbelievably slow pace. Although 1 hour passed,
the bus could not reach the terminal. One standing runner shouted, " I would like to get off the
bus. I would rather walk!" A lot of runners followed him including me.
- I could reach the marathon site around 9:00 AM. The opening ceremony was already started.
The rain was falling more gentry, but the ground of the marathon site was under water.
- After registration, I looked for the place to change the wears. I decided to
sit under the roof of resting hut close to the lake. That's the only available place to keep
out the rain.
- All marathon races started at 10:00 AM all together.
- I went to the staring line around 9:40 AM. The runners of full marathon race were
around 1,200. It was not so many runners.
- Just before the start, it rained, but when started, it stopped. The loss time was 20 seconds.
- It was announced that the temperature was 21 degrees Centigrade. However, I felt muggy and thus
I decided to wear no-sleeve T-shirt. It was a good decision. Owing to high humidity, I started to sweat very much
immediately after the start.
- I finally got a boost around 10 km. However, suddenly, I was caught a first heavy shower.
But I felt cool because of a sudden shower. I saw muddy stream flowing in the river owing to heavy rain.
- Until I returned to the lakeside of 22 km point, a lot of people cheered the runners, which encouraged me.
- When entering into the lakeside course, the cheering ceased and the lonely and quiet running started.
- On reaching 25 km point, driving rain shower started. Big drops of rain hit my arm and I felt pain.
The road was full of water and thus my running shoes were drenched
and I felt my feet were floating. The shower continued until I reached 28 km point.
This was the heaviest rain shower I had never experienced among my marathon races.
Nevertheless, all runners ahead and behind me made nothing of it and continued to run
- In spite of repeated heavy rain showers, I could manage to reach 30 km point.
- However, I met again heavy rain shower at 35 km point. Driving rain from the lake hit me and
the rain drops might enter into my ear hole. To make matter worse, a long steep slope just started.
Owing to heavy rain, the water flowed down on the road like waterfall. It was almost
impossible to run up the slope. At last, I started to walk up the slope, but the rain did not stop
until I arrived in 36 km point.
- Finally I reached the 5 km point to the goal. However, I started to feel tired.
What is worse, upward course continued. I started to walk and run.
- When approaching the 3 km point to the goal, I felt extraordinary thirsted.
I could not run any more and started to walk again until 40 km point.
To my regret, I lost a lot of time.
- I gulped down the water to appease my thirst at the water supply point past
40 km. I saw rice balls there for the first time, but it's too late to eat.
(Only bananas were served at previous points.) I wished rice balls should have been served at
more previous points.
- I continued to run with my last energy during the last 2 km.
- I almost reached the goal, but the goal was soaked with water and so muddy.
Anyway, my goal time was 4 hours 37 minutes.
- I could keep the running pace of 6 minutes per one kilometer until 30 km point; however,
I was forced to walk intermittently at the end of the race. I was once wondering if I could
complete the race within the limited time (5 hours). I was happy that I finished
the race within 5 hours.
- When I retuned to the resting hut, no one was there. All gone!
- As soon as I reach the goal, a heavy rain started again. The rain continued for a long moment
and thus I could not get out of the hut.
- Since I heard that next free shuttle bus would leave at 16:00,
I went to the bus stop around 15:40. I could get on the bus immediately.
To my surprise, the bus driver said, "Let's start though the time is a little bit early." and the bus left
around 15:50. I might miss the bus if I arrived at the bus stop just before 16:00.
I wondered if some runners missed the 16:00 shuttle bus.
- Differently from the morning bus, there was no traffic jam and it took only
10 minutes to reach the station.
- I took on the Shinkansen from Tazawako Station at 17:01. The train was not
so crowded. I bought the box lunch (Yen 1,000) of ox tong steak to be heated by pulling string just before
tasting. It was delicious, but the volume was not enough for me.
- I got home around 22:00. It was too hot in Tokyo!
|05 km||30 minutes|
|10 km||59 minutes|
|15 km||1 hour 29 minutes|
|20 km||1 hour 58 minutes|
|Middle point||2 hours 05 minutes |
|25 km||2 hours 30 minutes|
|30 km||3 hours 03 minutes|
|35 km||3 hours 40 minutes|
|40 km||4 hours 20 minutes|
|Goal||4 hours 37 minutes|