Sano Marathon Race (The 7th)
Date: Sunday, December 11, 2011 Weather: Fine
Location: Sano City, Tochigi Pref.
Details of Race:Refer to the fourth Sano Marathon Race
Locally brewed Japanese Sake (Giveaway)
|5 km||27 minutes|
|10 km||55 minutes|
|15 km||1 hour 22 minutes|
|20 km||1 hour 51 minutes|
|Middle Point||1 hour 58 minutes|
|30 km||2 hours 54 minutes|
|35 km||3 hours 24 minutes|
|40 km||3 hours 57 minutes|
|Finish||4 hours 10 minutes|
- I left home at 5:20 AM. It was fine and freezing!
I arrived in Sano Station of Tobu Line via Seibu and JR Musashino Lines.
The sky was clear and thus I could see Mt. Fuji covered with snow far away even from the train of Tobu Line.
At any rate, Sano is far away from my home!
- I could get on the second shuttle bus from Sano Station.
It took around 15 minutes to the marathon site.
- After finishing the registration at the gymnasium, I went to the athletic field for start.
It was fine and the sun was shining. It was warm. I took a big rice ball which I made this morning.
It was very effective for the running in the first half of the race.
- I deposited my luggage and lined up around 9:40 AM.
2,000 full marathon runners joined.
- The race started at 10:00 AM. Owing to transportation condition,
the course was changed. Basically the course took the opposite direction of the previous year.
- Anyway, it seemed that the course was completely different.
Under the blue sky, the sunlight was too bright.
- After start, it was calm and warm. I started to sweat around 5 km point since I wore thick long-sleeve shirt.
- However, sometimes, I was forced to run against the wind, but the wind was comfortable for running.
- The course was narrow until 10 km point and thus it was difficult to pass the other runners.
- The time at 20 km was 1 hour 51 minutes. It was a good record for me after a long interval.
- Immediately after passing the middle point, the siren sounded at noon.
- The course was getting upward after middle point.
- I could run smoothly even after passing middle point. However, suddenly, my running pace slowed down.
I felt hungry. I took out 2 pcs of caramels from my waist porch and put into my mouth.
However, it's not enough for my stomach. Then, I took several pcs of M & M chocolates.
- Fortunately, soon after, it started to effect on my running.
The running pace recovered. After passing 27-km turn around, the course was downward.
My running pace slightly speeded up.
- I managed to reach 30 km point, but it seemed to be far away to 35 km point.
- Soon the indication that the distance to the finish to be 5 km appeared.
But my running pace slowed down again. I took another pcs of M & M chocolates.
Then, I could reach the point 1 km to the finish.
However, at that point, I felt no more energy to run. My pace drastically slowed down.
- It was so hard for me to run the last 1 km.
- Anyway, the finish time was 4 hours 10 minutes. It was the best record for me during this marathon season.
- The certificate was issued immediately after the finish. My rank was 70th out of 231 runners of over 60 years old.
70th was the skipping number winner and I was given a bottle of locally brewed Japanese Sake!
I was so lucky.
- After the race, I had a cup of free pork soup. The taste of this year's soup was a little bit salty.
- I could not find my running mates. I left the marathon site immediately after having pork soup.
- Only one train was available at Tobu Sano Line. It took much time to get home
via Tobu, JR Musashino and Seibu Lines. I was completely tired of getting on the trains.
I left the marathon site at 14:50 and reached home at 18:00.
- When I came home, I found that my face was slightly covered with salt
owing to the sweat during the race. I sweated so much beyond expectation.