Tama River Memorial 50 km Running Race for Mr. Toshizo Hijikara (The 6th)
Date: Sunday, May 13, 2012 Weather: Fine
Location: Hino City, Tokyo (JR Hino Station of Chuo Line)
Details of RaceFRefer to Tama River Memorial 50 km Running Race for Mr. Toshizo Hijikara (The 6th).
Gift: batch of Shinnsen-gumi
|10 km/td>||59 minutes|
|15 km||1 hour 28 minutes|
|20 km||1 hour 58 minutes|
|25 km||2 hours 27 minutes|
|35 km||3 hours 33 minutes|
|40 km||4 hours 17 minutes|
|45 km||4 hours 42 minutes|
|50 km||5 hours 18 minutes|
- The race was cancelled last year owing to the Great Eastern Japan Earthquake.
Thus the race was held after an interval of two years.
- The broken weather continued for a few days, however, I was relieaved to hear that the weatherman said it would be fine on Sunday.
- It was fine in the morning on Sunday as forecasted, but it was very cool.
- I left home at 5:20 AM and arrived in JR Hino Station past 7:00 AM.
I could see Mt. Fuji covered with snow clearly from the window of the train of Chuo Line
owing to fine weather.
- I could reach marathon site around 7:30 AM. The reception would start from 8:00 AM. I was forced to wait
for a while.
- After registration, the opening ceremony started from 8:40 AM.
It was fine and the sunshine started to scorch. I should have brought a sun-block cream.
- This year, 20 km run and walking races were added.
The total participants were almost 300.
- The 50 km race started at 9:00 AM. As previously did, we first crossed the bridge over Tama River and
ran upstream alongside Tama River. The distance to the first turn-around point was 10 km.
I could see Mr. Fuji until I arrived in the turn-around point.
I could not find a 5-km indication.
- It was fine in the morning. The humidity was so low that I felt very comfortable and did not sweat
very much. The temperature might be around 20 degrees Centigrade.
- Anyway, I could run 6 minutes per one kilometer in the first half.
- After 25 km point, the course was alongside Asakawa River, a tributary of Tama River.
A lot of students were enjoying the BBQ at the river terrace. Good smell stimulated my appetite.
- When entering the Asakawa River course, the wind almost stopped and
I felt hot. I also felt hungry.
- The turn-around point of Asakawa River was almost 30 km from the start.
I was told that my ranking was 55th. There were various kinds of food.
I took several rice balls and fried bean-curds stuffed with boiled rice satisfy my hunger.
I also had pickled Japanese apricots and oranges.
- By the way, I got the unwelcomed information for me there.
I had to return there once more after running 10 km. I thought I would run down the stream of
Tama River as did 2 years ago. I was discouraged to learn that I had to run the same course again.
- Anyway, I had to start again. But the running pace slowed down a little bit.
- I ran 5 km to reach the bifurcation of Tama River and Asakawa River and came back to
the turn-around point of Asakawa River. So far I ran almost 40 km. I was told the ranking was 45th.
Only 10 km remained.
- It was so hard for me to run the last 10 km 2 years ago. However,
I could run without problem this year. It was due to low humidity.
- I managed to pass 45 km point safely. I could see no runners in front and back of me.
- I came across the indication of 3 km to the finish.
However, I felt a little bit longer to the finish from there.
It was hot and I drank much water at the last aid station.
- I could complete the race without walking. The time was 5 hours 18 minutes. Much better than that of
2 years ago. I was not told about final ranking at the finish.
- I thought that the weather condition was much better than that of 2 years ago and that is the
reason why I could finish shorter time.
- I thought I did not sweat so much, but my face and foot were covered with salt.
- I felt comfortable after the race. I could come home around 4:00 PM. Earlier than I expected.
- It is good to have an after-the-race party with running mates. However, I joined the race
by myself this time. I drank beer solitarily at home. (To my regret, the stand-up bar around Akitsu Station
was full of customers.)
- My hands and foot were fully sunburned!