Tazawako Lake Marathon Race (The 27th)
Date: Sunday, September 16, 2012 Weather: Fine & Hot
Location: Senboku City, Akita Pref.
Details of RaceRefer to the 17th Tazawako Lake Marathon Race.
Records & Impression
- Saturday, September 15
- According to weekly weather forecast, it would be rainy in Akita on Sunday. However, the latest forecast said it would
be fine and hot on Sunday. The highest temperature would be 32 degrees Centigrade!
I was worrying about the race under high temperature.
- Anyway, I took on the train of Akita-Shinkansen to be left at 16:02 from Ueno Station.
I arrived in Ohmagari at 19:27. I checked in the same hotel as I stayed last year.
I rushed to the super-market to get the food for supper. I got a half-priced dinner box since the closing time was 21:00.
- I enjoyed drinking locally brewed Japanese Sake with dinner box.
- Sunday, September 16
- I got up at 5:00 AM. It was fine and seemed to be getting hot.
- As expected, the weatherman said it would be fine and the temperature would rise to 32 degrees Centigrade.
The bad condition for marathon race!
- I took bread for breakfast instead of rice balls since rice balls were out of stock at super-market last night.
- I checked out at 6:30 AM. The sun was shining and it was already hot early in the morning.
- I took on the local train bound for Morioka to be left at 7:01 AM. The train was almost full when started.
A lot of runners were in the train.
- The train ran through the rice field of harvest season and arrived in Tazawako Station at 7:41 AM.
- When getting out of the ticket gate, something was wrong with my electronic ticket and it took time.
Thus I could not catch up with the shuttle bus to be left at 7:45 AM.
- Anyway, I could get on the bus around 8:00 AM. While waiting for the bus, the sun was glaring and it was too hot.
I wondered if I could complete the race under such high temperature.
- The bus ran almost smoothly this year and arrived in the marathon site within 30 minutes.
- After registration, I changed the wears and waited until starting time.
- Owing to spell of fine weather, the water level of Tazawako Lake was low.
- When arriving, it was announced that the temperature was 26 degrees Centigrade, however, it seemed the temperature in the sunshine
was more than 30 degrees. The race seemed to be hard.
- I went to the start line around 9:45 AM. It was breezing, but hot.
In the past, the weather of this race was always bad. I experienced fine and hot weather for the first time.
I could not believe that I was in Tohoku District in September.
- The race started at 10:00 AM as usual. The loss time was 15 seconds!
- The turn-around of the first half was Tazawako Station. After the start, it was calm and hot for a while.
I started to drip with sweat.
- I saw one runner fell down around 7 km point. It seemed to be heat stroke.
During the race, I heard frequently the siren of ambulance.
- While running alongside the river, the strong dried wind started to blow.
I felt cool and could run smoothly to Tazawako Station.
- I could see Mt. Akita Komagatake far away for the first time.
- I was encouraged by the cheers from the galleries around Tazawako Station.
- At any rate, it was too hot. I thirsted very much and drank water heavily at each water supply point.
- Regardless of hot weather, my running pace was better than that of last year until 15 km point.
However, after 20 km point, it gradually slowed down.
- I could pass middle-point in 2 hours 08 minutes. I competed with young gal until
reaching the lakefront of Tazawako Lake, but finally I was passed by her.
- Then I could pass 22 km point. But I felt depressed a little since I had to run further 20 km under hot weather.
- Anyway, I changed the mood and continued to run. There were lots of shaded areas around the lakeside, but
it was still hot under the sun.
- It was fine and thus I could see the scenery on the opposite shore.
- While running around the lake, I tried to be in voluntary condition.
I managed to pass both 25 km and 30 km point.
- I finally reached 35 km point without walking.
- After passing 35 km point, the long upward slope started.
Suddenly, I lost my energy to run.
- I started to walk the slope. It took much time to climb the slope.
I started to run down the slope, but I lost my running pace.
- Since then, I repeated run and walk. Beside I felt my stomach was full of water
owing to frequent drinking.
- I felt it took much time to the goal since I saw the sign "5 km to the goal".
I was thinking it would be good for me to complete the race within 5 hours.
- After 30 km point, the course was shaded and cool, but when approaching the goal, the sun started to
- Finally I reached the water supply point of 40 km. I got a small rice ball. Having rice ball, I started to
run to the finish.
- The finish time was 4 hours 49 minutes. It was good time for me under the extraordinary high temperature.
After the finish, the lady overwashed cold water onto my head. I felt refreshed.
- Then I got a rice box with pickled Ume and Miso soup. The taste of Miso soup was not so good.
- I changed the wears and went to the bus stop of shuttle bus. It was still hot.
- I reached Tazawako Station before 16:00. I moistened my throat with canned beer.
- I took on the train of Shinkansen to be left at 17:28. The train was crowded than I expected.
The young group in the train was drunk and noisy. I was annoyed. They should be well-mannered.
- I got home before 22:00. A long and hot day! I was sunburned very much!
|05 km||28 minutes|
|10 km||56 minutes|
|15 km||1 hour 28 minutes|
|20 km||2 hours 00 minutes|
|Middle point||2 hours 08 minutes |
|25 km||2 hours 35 minutes|
|30 km||3 hours 11 minutes|
|35 km||3 hours 48 minutes|
|40 km||4 hours 32 minutes|
|Goal||4 hours 49 minutes|