Sano Marathon Race (The 8th)
Date: Sunday, December 9, 2012 Weather: Fine
Location: Sano City, Tochigi Pref.
Details of Race:Refer to the fourth Sano Marathon Race
|5 km||29 minutes|
|10 km||56 minutes|
|15 km||1 hour 24 minutes|
|20 km||1 hour 53 minutes|
|Middle Point||2 hours 00 minutes|
|30 km||2 hours 58 minutes|
|35 km||3 hours 35 minutes|
|40 km||4 hours 13 minutes|
|Finish||4 hours 32 minutes|
- I was scheduled to join Osaka marathon race on November 23, 2012. However, to my regret, I injured my left when I
visited and walked to the temples in Kyoto immediately after completing the Iizaka Marathon race. The pain was so intense and it was hard to walk
for a while. I was forced to stop jogging for 3 weeks after a long interval.
- Owing to 3-week suspension, the pain was relived and I could run again.
I decided to join the race after one-month interval.
- It has been severely cold in Kanto District in December.
According to the weather forecast, it would be fine and cold on Sunday.
(It was mild on Saturday.)
- Anyway, I got up at 4:00AM. I left home at 5:20AM.
It was dark out side and cold.
- I arrived in Sano Station around 8:00AM via Seibu Line, Musashino Line and Tobu Line.
- Since I got off the train very close to the stair steps, I could smoothly get out
of the exit. I could got on the second shuttle bus.
- Every time the shuttle bus was a deluxe sightseeing car with bus conductress.
All passengers could get seat.
- The bus went smoothly and reached around 8:15AM.
I registered and went to the marathon site to change wears.
It was fine but not so warm as it was lat year. I decided to wear long T-shirt and long pant.
It was a good choice.
- The full marathon race started at 10:AM. The start position was outside of the
- The course of this year was quite different from that of last year.
Soon the course became only a left lane of two-lane section.
Since the course was narrow and crowded, it was hard to pass the other runners.
The same situation continued after passing 5 km point.
- It was calm and warm until 15 km point and I could run smoothly.
I managed to reach 20 km point.
- However, after passing 20 km point, the course became upward. The uphill slope continued
to the tunnel named "Koetsuji". I felt suddenly tired.
- After running through the tunnel, the long downhill way continued.
I thought about return trip and I felt a little depressed since I had to
run up the uphill road again.
- After descending the slope, the flat course endlessly (!) continued.
I was getting tired of monotonous way and started to feel tired. The running pace started to slow.
I also felt hungry. ( I took a big rice ball before start.)
I took a few caramels and recovered a little. I continued to run.
- I missed the 25 km indication and could not know the distance from the start
for a while. Anyway, I finally reached the place where the uphill slope started
to the tunnel. I struggled to run up the slope.
- It was so hard to run through the tunnel since cold and strong head wind was blowing.
- After passing the tunnel, the down slope started.
I finally reached 30 km point. I felt it took much time to reach 30 km point from 20 km point.
I had to run 12 km more.
- After 30 km point, I had to run against strong head wind.
I struggled to run, but the running pace was slowing down owing to strong wind.
I was getting tired.
- I continued to run and managed to reach 35 km point.
- Soon the indication "5 km to the goal" appeared.
- However, suddenly my running pace stopped. My concentration power to run slipped.
- I started to walk since I felt it might be possible to complete the race within 5 hours
- Once started to walk, I repeated walk and run. I did not experience the walk in the recent marathon race.
The 3-week blank might affect the running.
- The time at 40 km point was 4 hours 13 minutes. It took
38 minutes from 35 km to 40 km.
- During the last 2 km, the sun was in shade and it was getting very cold.
I still continued to run and walk.
- Finally I reached the athletic field, but the running pace to the goal
was very slow. I could not rush to the finish since I was so tired.
- Anyway, my finish time was 4 hours 32 minutes in spite of occasional walking at the final stage.
I could have finished the race around 4 hours.
- After the finish, I took a cup of free pork soup. I could warm up
with hot soup although the taste was not so good.
- I rushed to the shuttle bus stop to the station. It was so warm in the bus and
I almost felt into sleep before reaching the station.
- The bus arrived in the station around 15:30. The train of Tobu Line just left and I had to
wait almost on hour until next train. Thus I took on the JR train of Ryomo Line to be
left at 15:53. It was so cold while waiting the train on the platform.
- The connection of train at Oyama Station was so good and I could get home
- I was annoyed with strong head wind at the last half stage.
I came as a fresh reminder that the constant training was very important to complete the full marathon race.
I also felt the deterioration owing to old age. It is getting harder and harder to
complete the race within 4 hours.