Tateyama Wakashio Marathon Race (The 33rd)
Date: Sunday, January 27, 2013Weather: Fine
Location: Tateyama City, Chiba Pref.
Details of raceRefer to the 21st Tateyama Wakashi Marathon Race.
|10 km||58 minutes|
|15 km||1 hour 26 minutes|
|20 minutes||1 hour 54 minutes|
|Middle point||2 hours 01 minutes|
|30 km||2 hours 54 minutes|
|40 km||3 hours 58 minutes|
|Goal||4 hours 13 minutes|
- As I did last year, I reserved highway bus bound for Tateyama City from Tokyo Station
at 6:10 AM.
- I got up before 4:00 AM and took on the first train at 5:09 from Higashi-kurume Station.
- It was still dark and cold in the early morning. No one was walking alongside the street
to the station. Only a few passengers were platform.
- I arrived in Tokyo Station before 6:00 AM by subway.
The 6:00 AM highway bus was just starting.
- My reserved bus started as scheduled. The bus was going on the Aqua Line via Rainbow Bridge.
It was fine and I could see the sunrise on reaching Umihotaru paring area.
I could also see Mt. Fuji toward right rear of the bus.
- The bus went on schedule and reached just beside the marathon site before 8:00 AM.
Last year, I had to walk almost 20 minutes from the temporal bus stop to the marathon site.
I thought I had to walk 20 minutes as I did last year, I was surprised that
the bus stopped at marathon site.
- Therefore, I arrived in the marathon site earlier than I expected.
After registration, I looked for my running mates, but I couldn't.
- Anyway, I changed wears and looked for my mates again.
Runners were coming continuously and the marathon site was getting crowded.
However, since my running mate brought a tent, I could find it easily.
- Although it was still cold around 8:00 AM, it was fine and breezing contrary to my expectation.
- We had enough time and thus we went to the place where we could see Mt. Fuji over the sea and
took a commemorative photo. Many runners took photos there. Everybody thought the same thing.
Almost 70% of Mt. Fuji from the summit was covered with snow.
- Full marathon race would start at 10:00 AM. I went to the start line with my four running mates around 9:30 AM.
I joined the race with my running mates after an long interval.
It was still fine and breezing and warm. I felt slightly scorching sunlight while waiting for start.
- The full marathon race started as scheduled. The loss time was almost two minutes.
Soon I could see Mt. Fuji clearly over the sea to the right side.
The sea was calm and I felt salty scent.
- The course was so crowded with runners until 10 km point that I could not pass other runners.
Anyway, I was running matter-of-factly.
- It was fine all day and thus I could continue to see Mt. Fuji
even when I went out to the open sea course after passing Sunozaki lighthouse.
- It was still breezing while running the open sea course.
I felt a little bit hot since I wore thick long-sleeve shirt for cold weather.
- I could also see Ohshima Island clearly over the sea clearly.
I even saw a small rice-ball-shaped island named Toshima left side of Ohshima Island.
- I ran under my usual running pace until middle-point.
However, after that, I felt a little bit tired, but tried my best to continue to run.
- With an effort, I reached 30 km point. I could manage to slowly run up the following uphill slope.
- As usual, I got a small rice ball and hot tea at privately-operated aid station
around 32 km point.
- The course would be alongside the seashore after passing 33 km point.
Several gradual slopes continued.
- I was annoyed by strong headwind last year. However, this year, no strong wind was blowing.
I could see Mt. Fuji at left side again.
- Owing to repeated slopes, I was getting tired although it was only breezing.
- The last 4 km to the goal was flat.
- I could keep the running pace of 6 minutes per one kilometer until 40 km point, but
my running pace drastically slowed down after 40 km point.
- It was so hard to run last 2 km to the goal.
I was passed by other runners one by one, however, I could not catch up with them.
- Anyway, I managed to complete the race without walking.
But I was exhausted.
- The finish time was 4 hours 13 minutes. The time of last year was 4 hours 12 minutes under
the strong headwind. If strong head wind was blowing this time, it would take more time.
Anyway, I was satisfied with the result.
- After finish, I found free sweet bean paste soup was served in addition to pork soup.
I had a cup of sweet bean paste soup.
- When coming back to the tent, two running mates were already there.
- Weather condition was best for marathon race this time. It was still warm around 14:00.
Under the blue sky, we drank beer first. Then we celebrated the completion of race by drinking red wine, which I brought.
- Last year, it took much time to reach the station by shuttle bus owing to
traffic jam. We decided to walk to the station, but it took much time than I expected.
- I bought a bottle of one-cup Japanese sake before taking on the highway bus bound for
Tokyo station at 17:00. I felt very good after drink in the bus.
- The bus did not move owing to traffic jam even on the highway.
Traffic jam finally finished when the bus entered into Aqua line.
- Tokyo town lights at night seen from Rainbow Bridge were very impressive.
- The bus arrived in Tokyo Station at 20:30. We departed there without drink party, because it was too late.
- I came home at 21:45, later than I expected.
A long day!