Tokyo Kita Marathon Race (The 54th)
Date: Sunday, June 1, 2014 Weather: Fine & Hot
Location: Kitaku, Tokyo
Details of RaceFRefer to Tokyo Kita Marathon Race (The 46th).
- It had been hot like summer although it was the end of May.
- The weather forecast on Sunday was also extraordinary hot. The maximum temperature in Tokyo was 33
degrees Centigrade and 35 degrees Centigrade in Saitama. I was worrying about the race condition.
- I left home past 6:00 AM. It was fine. It was cool in a shaded area, but hot in the sun.
- As usual, I arrived in Adachi Odai Station of Toneri Liner Line around 7:30 AM via Seibu and Yamanote Line.
The train of Toneri Liner Line was not crowded and I could get the seat.
- I reached the marathon site before 8:00 AM on foot. It was not so hot owing to blowing wind.
- I registered and got the tote bag as a prize for participation. Two colors of back packs and three coloros of
tote bags were available this year.
- The temperature continued to rise and it was getting hotter.
- I promised to meet Mr. J of Englishman in front of the registration area around 8:00 AM.
But he did not appear. I finally could meet him around 8:45 AM.
- The opening ceremony started around 9:00 AM. After the ceremony, radio gymnastics started as usual.
- Full marathon race started at 9:30. The temperature might be already over 30 degrees Centigrade.
The loss time was less than one minute.
- The full marathon runners had to run twice the half-marathon course.
- Although it was so hot, I managed to complete the first half as usual owing to blowing wind.
To prevent heat stroke, I tried to drink much water at each water supply point and had Amino Vital and salt.
- This time, water served at each water supply point was not cold. No sport drink was available.
The only food supplied in the second half was small cut bananas. I think that cold water, sport drink
and other foods should be served at least, because runners run under boiling sun.
- I prepared Amino Vital, salt, caramel, choco just in case. Thus I could sate my hunger.
I wondered runners without food might run out of energy before the finish.
- There were not enough distance indication and thus it was a little bit difficult to share my time properly.
Anyway, I could complete the first half.
- The number of runners decreased since half marathon runners finished.
The running pace of runners slowed down owing to hot weather.
- It was breezing and too hot. I frequently felt thirsty. Some runners were already walking.
- I could not satisfied with water supplied at water supply point. I looked for public water fountains
and drank much water several times.
- It was so hard to run but I managed to continue to run around 32 km point.
- However, my running speed drastically slowed down. My running pace was almost the same as that of walking.
Finally I lost my energy to run owing to extraoridinal hotness (The temperature must be more than 33 degrees Centigrade.)
A lot of runners around me started to walk.
- Once I walked, I did not want to run again this time.
- But the last turn-around point was far away. It took much time on foot to reach there.
- Anyway, I tried to walk as fast as possible and I could reach the last turn-around point.
I saw a lot of people were enjoying barbecue at the river side. I was envious. How come I was
running under such a severe hot weather!!
- I continued heel-and-toe walking and finally reached the 3 km point to the finish.
At that time I heard announce from Adachi ward office from the speaker. It was a warning
that urban ozone formation just occurred! It was around 14:30. It meant no more running!!
- It took much time to finish 3 km on foot. But it was not so hard to walk compared with running.
- It was a shame to finish the race on foot. Therefore I decided to start to run last 300m to the finish.
- The finish time was 5 hours 19 minutes, which is my worst record! But I am satisfied with
the result since I could complete the race anyway. This is my first experience to walk such a long
distance in the race.
- Since I applied Sun-block cream, I did not sunburn. But I was covered with salt after running.
- I thought Mr. J was running in front of me, but he finished after me.
- We cheered with canned beer after finish. Owing to hot weather, beer was not so cold although
I put refrigerant in the cooler bag.
- Then we drank red wine with Bread & Cheese which Mr. J brought. I was a little bit drunken
since I was exhausted owing to hot weather.
- I returned home around 17:30. I took a shower to wash out the salt on my body.
- Since I walked at the final stage, I did not have any damage on my body this time.
- I have completed the 88th full marathon race! I will reach 100th marathon race if I complete
12 more races.
|10 km||1 our 03 minutes|
|Middle-point||2 hours 14 minutes|
|Finish||5 hours 19 minutes|