Iizaka-Spa & Moekko-lake Marathon Race (The 7th)
Date: Sunday, November 2, 2014 Weather: Sunny then cloudy
LocationFIizaka-cho, Fukushima Pref. (Iizaka-Spa Station of Iizaka Line of Fukushima Transportation)
Details of RaceRefer to Iizaka-Spa & Moekko-lake Marathon Race (The 5th)
T shirt design
|5 km||29 minutes|
|10 km||58 minutes|
|15 km||1 hour 30 minutes|
|20 km||2 hours 01 minute|
|Middle Point||2 hours 06 minutes|
|30 km||3 hours 06 minutes|
|35 km||3 hours 40 minutes|
|40 km||4 hours 13 minutes|
|Finish||4 hours 27 minutes|
- Saturday, November 1. Rainy
- I left home past 6:00 AM. It was rainy.
- I got on the highway bus bound for Fukushima at 8:00 AM from Shinjuku.
- It had been rainy until bus reached Fukushima Station.
- The foliage season already arrived in Tohoku District.
- Owing to consecutive holidays, the highway traffic jammed. However, since the weather was not
good, the bus arrived in Fukushima Station at 14:00, only one hour behind the schedule.
- On arrival, I tried to check in the hotel, but I was told that the check in time would be after 14:30.
I was forced to wait for a while.
- The weather was not good and thus I decided to stay hotel.
- Sunday, November 2, weather: sunny, then cloudy
- I got up at 5:15 AM. It was cloudy outside.
- According to morning weather forecast, it would be cloudy and occasionally sunny daytime, then rainy in the evening.
The maximum temperature would be 24 degrees Centigrade.
- I left hotel at 7:20 and reached Fukushima Station at 7:30. Two shuttle buses were already there.
- On taking on the first bus, the bus started.
- It took around 40 minutes to reach the marathon site. It was cloudy and foggy in the mountains.
- Soon the fog cleared. The sun appeared and it was getting warm.
- This time, one of my running mates joined the race. I could manage to meet him there.
- This year, a half marathon race was added. Both full and half marathon races started at 9:40.
- It was fine when the race started. I even felt a little bit hot.
- The course was exactly the same as that of last year. First, runners ran down the stream 5 km and back to the
starting point again.
- I started to sweat while running. I wore a long-sleeve T-shirt since it would be cold. However, my
judgement was wrong. Anyway, I ran with my long sleeves rolled up.
- After passing 10 km point, 2-km slope started to the dam.
- I managed to run up the slope.
- It was hard to arrive in the second turn-around point (18.7 km) since it was hot owing to no wind.
- It was fine and autumn leaves in the mountains were beautiful.
- Finally I reached the second turn-around-point. The following wind was blowing during the return course
and I felt cool. I felt tired after 20 km point. I felt it was so far until I reached the third turn-around point
- I had to return to the second turn-around-point (32.6 km) again.
I felt depressed, but I restrained myself and continued to run. It was getting hot again.
I drank much water at each 5-km water supply point.
- Anyway, I could pass 30 km point. At the opening ceremony, one of organizers said you might
come across monkeys while running. I saw one monkey crossed the road when I was running 31 km point.
I saw him on the tree when passing.
- It was hard to return from 32.6 km point. I continued to run my own pace.
- Finally I reached the dam (39 km). My running pace slowed down.
- I reached 40 km point after passing the dam. Downward slope started from there.
While running down slowly, other runners passed me one by one.
- I managed to complete the race without walking. Finish time was 4 hours 27 minutes.
It was hot than expected.
- My running mate already finished. His finish time was 3 hours 08 minutes. He might be tired of
waiting for me.
- In addition to bath towel, one of various kind of prizes was given. I got rice last year, but this year,
I was given T-shirt. I prefer food rather than T-shirt.
- I returned to Iizaka Spa with my friend by bus at 14:30. From Iizaka Spa Station, we got on
the train to return to Fukushima Station.
- At night, we had a dinner with wine at Italian restaurant to celebrate the completion of the race.
It was rainy at night, but we were lucky since it was sunny while running.
- Monday, November 3, Scatterred cold shower
- It was cloudy at Fukushima in the morning. I went to Yamagata Station by local train via Yonezawa.
It was cold in Yamagata owing to scattered cold rain.
- From Yamagata Station, I got on the local train of JR Aterazawa Line and got off
at Uzen-takamatsu Station. I walked to Jionji Temple. I enjoyed quiet atmosphere of famous Tohoku district's
- I returned to Yamagata and got off at Yamadera Staion. I visited Yamadera Temple.
- Different from Jionji Temple, lots of tourists were there regardless of bad weather.
The staffs of souvenir stores were attracting customers. I felt I was pulled back to the real world.
- In the rain, I climbed up 1,000-stone stairway to the innermost sanctuary.
- When returned to Yamagata Station, it was 16:30. It was dark and cold.
- I drank locally-brewed Japanese Sake at Japanese Pub and waited night bus at the waiting room of the station.
- I got on the bus at 22:50 bound for Tokyo. The bus was occupied 50%.
- Next morning, the bus reached Ikebukuro at 4:40 AM. I could not sleep well.
It was cold in Tokyo in the early morning.