Tsukuba Marathon Race (The 34th)
Date: Sunday, November 23, 2014 Weather: Fine
Location: Tsukuba City, Ibaraki Pref.
Details of RaceRefer to the 20th Tsukuba Marathon Race
- The weather forecast on Sunday suddenly changed to be fine and warm on Saturday.
- The day after Iizaka marathon race, I visited Yamadera temple in Yamagata and climbed up and down the stone steps of more than 1000 steps.
As a result, I injured my right knee. Thus I was forced to stop running for 2 weeks.
I was not ready for Tsukuba marathon race.
- I left home around 5.30 AM. It was cold.
- As usual, I reached Kenkyugakuen Station of Tsukuba Express via Seibu Line and JR Musashino Line.
I could see Mt. Tsukuba from Tsukuba Express train. It was cold at outside of Kenkyugakuen Station.
Same as usual, a long line of runners was there to take on the shuttle bus to the marathon site.
The one-way ticket increased to Yen 260. It took almost 20 minutes to get on the bus.
The bus arrived in the marathon site past 8:00 AM.
- A lot of runners were already there. It was getting warm.
- Although it was said it would be warm, I decided to wear long-sleeve T shirt. It proved to be
- Then I went to the toilet. The number of toilets increased compared with last year. A waiting line was
short, but it took almost 30 minutes.
- I reached starting line around 9:00 AM. It was very warm in the sun.
- It was announced that more than 13,000 runners joined the race this year.
There were so many people and so crowded. I was disgusted with it.
- The race started at 9:30. The loss time was 3 minutes.
- The course was the same as that of last year. I could run as usual pace until 10 km point.
I could see Mt. Tsukuba clearly in front. The yellow ginkgo leaves were beautiful.
- After passing 15 km point, I came across two top runners who turned the 20-km turn-around
point. 9 km distance difference between I and them!
- Between 14 km and 20 km, I was forced to run facing the sun. The temperature rose than expected.
I ran with my sleeves with rolled up.
- Hot condition continued to 29 km point. It was so hard to run, but I continued to run with patience.
- At 29 km point, I had sweet bean paste soup served every year. The volume was very small this year.
I took two cups.
- I managed to pass 30 km point. It was getting a little bit cool.
It was still hard to run, but I turned defiant and continued to run until 35 km point.
- I took much water and bean-jam bun at each aid station.
Therefore, I did not get thirsty and hungry this time. The number of toilets at each aid station
increased this year. It was very good!
- After passing 35 km point, a slight slope started. It was very hard to run up it.
I ran up with very slow running pace.
- Around 37 km point, I felt my calves started to be get cramped. I endured it
and ran slowly.
- Finally I could see the indication "5 km to the finish".
However, it took much time to the finish. My running pace further slowed down.
- Near the last turn-around point just before 40 km point, I heard someone called my name.
I found my running mate running just after me.
- He passed me around 40 km point. I had no energy to catch up with him.
- The running pace during the last 2 km slowed more. I could not raise my legs while running.
I was passed by lots of runners including young gals.
- Last year I fell just before the finish and injured. Thus I ran in a careful manner
to the finish.
- Finish time was 4 hours 28 minutes. It was a hot and hard marathon race for me!
- I met my running mate at the finish point. After changing the wears, we had a toast
with a glass of beer.
- We departed and I went to the bus stop to Kenkyugakuen Station.
- The waiting line was longer than that of last year. It took more than 30 minutes to get on the bus.
I could stand since it was not cold.
- The bus was crowded and I could not get seat. The road jammed and it took much time to reach the station.
Just before reaching the station, I started feeling sick. I found myself in a cold sweat.
I had to sit down on the floor. The lady near me asked me if I was alright. I answered OK, but
actually I was not good.
- Finally the bus arrived in the station. I was relived and rested for a while.
Then I took on the semi-express train of Tsukuba Express to be left at 16:03.
- However, the train was also crowded and I could not sit down. I got sick again and was
forced to get off at Moriya Station. Fortunately, I could get on the local train on the opposite
side of the platform and could sit down.
- I got on the train of JR Musashin Line from Minami Nagareyama Station. I could sit dowm, but
I felt sick again just before reaching Shin-akitu Station.
- Anyway, I could return to my house via Seibu Line. It was a long and painful train journey.
- I took a shower, but I had no appetite. I lost no time in going to the bed.
It was an unexpected incident.
- I could see a lot of gal runners. I could enjoy seeing their colorful running wears.
|5 km||31 minutes|
|10 km||59 minute|
|15 km||1 hour 28 minutes|
|20 km||1 hour 58 minutes|
|Middle-point||2 hours 05 minutes|
|25 km||2 hours 29 minutes|
|30 km||3 hours 02 minutes|
|35 km||3 hours 37 minutes|
|40 km||4 hours 12 minutes|
|Finish||4 hours 28 minutes|