Tama River Memorial 50 km Running Race for Mr. Toshizo Hijikata (The 9th)
Date: Sunday, May 17, 2015 Weather: Fine
Location: Hino City, Tokyo
Details of Race:Refer to Tama River Memorial 50 km Running Race for Mr. Toshizo Hijikata (The 4th)
|5 km||30 minutes|
|10 km||1 hour 01 minute|
|15 km||1 hour 33 minutes|
|20 km||2 hours 05 minutes|
|25 km||2 hours 36 minutes|
|30 km||3 hours 07 minutes|
|35 km||3 hours 49 minutes|
|40 km||4 hours 29 minutes|
|45 km||5 hours 11 minutes|
|50 km||5 hours 46 minutes|
- This time, I trained hard for this race. As a result, I ran 240 km from May 1 to May 16.
Running distance is amazing for me.
- Anyway, the weather man said it would be fine and the maximum temperature would be
27 degrees Centigrade on Sunday. Be careful for heat injury.
- I left home past 6:00 AM. I reached JR Hino Station of Chuo Line via Seibu Line and Musashino Line at 7:20 AM.
- I saw a train bound for Okutama Station filled with hikers at Tachikawa Station.
- It was cloudy in the morning, but it became fine when I reached Hino Station.
- I arrived in marathon site at 7:35 AM. I was told that the reception would start at 8:00, but
it started earlier. I ate rice ball before start.
- As usual, the opening ceremony started at 8:30 AM. The start of 50 km race was 9:00 AM.
- When started, I was almost at the end of the line. Runners ran around the athletic field once
before going out.
- Soon the course was alongside Tama River. It was fine. Although the temperature was rising,
it was not humid and crisp wind was blowing. Thus it was not so hot as I expected.
- Like as last year, runners ran 15 km upstream alongside Tama River to Fussa City and turned back.
- I often felt thirsty owing to low humidity. I drank a lot of water at 5-km aid station.
- Fire drill was done around Tama Bridge. Many fire engines, firemen and looker-ones were
- I could finally get small pieces of bread at 10-km aid station. Unfortunately, the stock was
not so much.
- The citizen's festival was held at the park in Fussa. The park was full of families.
It was hard to run among crowded people.
- I came across the group of top runners who returned from 15-km point past 10-km point.
- I continued to run with my own pace. In front of me, a tall and slim lady was running.
I chased each other back and forth with her until 30-km point. But after 30-km point, I could not
catch up with her and lost her.
- I passed 20-km point without problem and managed to pass 30-km point.
- I felt a little bit tired after 30-km point, besides the temperature was further rising.
It was hard for me to run between 30-km and 35-km point. The running pace slowed down and I felt
the distance to 35-km point was far away.
- I finally could have enough food at 32.5-km aid station. I ate both fried bean-curd stuffed with boiled rice and
rice balls as much as I could.
- I finally reached 5th aid station (37.5 km). I drank much water there.
- I felt the temperature was still rising and getting hotter. The distance to 40-km point also seemed to be
far away for me.
- Finally I reached last turn-around point. The distance to the goal from there was 7 km.
I was sure that I will be able to finish the race.
- Soon I passed 45-km point. I still had energy to run. Owing to latest hard training,
I could continue run without slowing down the pace.
- I saw runners in front of me or after me already walking.
- I still continued to run at my own pace. The wind was weak and it was getting hotter.
- Finally I could catch up with the runner who was walking far away from me and passed him.
Soon I saw a sign saying "2 km to the finish".
- I drank last water at last aid station. The distance to the finish was only 1.3 km.
- I was still running to reach the athletic field.
- I passed one more runner just before the finish!
- The finish time was 5 hours 46 minutes.
- Owing to constant training before the race, I could complete the race without problem.
- I could prevent sunburn since I applied much sun-block cream before running.
But my face was filled with salt.
- After cooling down, I walked to the station. I did not crampe while walking to the station as I
experienced last year.
- As usual, I dropped in Japanese pub in front of Akitsu Station.
The first glass of beer was so delicious. A group of drunken middle-aged men were so noisy!
- I came home at 17:20 with a little bit drunk.
- Anyway, I was satisfied that I could complete 50-km race.