The 46th Katsuta Marathon
Hitachinaka-City, Ibaraki Pref.
February 11, 1998
|Full Marathon||7,700 runners|
- I left home around 6:00 AM and got on the train at 6:49 from JR Nippori Station bound for Katsuta. It was very cold with gust of wind. At every station, the runners got on and by the time the train arrived at Katsuta, almost all passengers were runners!
- It took 10 min. on foot from the station to the marathon headquarters. A lot of runners already gathered.
- After registration, I prepared for the start.
- Just before the start, to my relief, it was getting warmer.
- It was my first challenge to the full marathon race. However, strange to say, I did not have any strain. At 11:00 AM, the race finally started. There were so many runnners in front of me that I had to walk for the first 5 min.
- I felt that more young guys participated this race in comparison with other races.
- When started, it was fine and breezing. However, in the afternoon, it became windy and cold. I felt cold even while running. I was relieved that I wore long T-shirt and long pant.
My split time
Judging from the above, my pace was even.
- Full marathon course is one way. There are several ups and downs. It seems to be easy to run.
- I could pass the first half without problem. However, I had a hard time to run the last half. It seemed to be very far to reach the 25 and 30km points. I continued to run innocently and tried to not to walk.
- A lot of runners started to walk around 25 and 30km points.
- Running of more than 30km was my first experience. It was indeed hard for me to run the last 5km.
- At 3:00PM, all traffic restrictions were off. Thus I had to run on the side walk after 40km.
- I managed to run the last 2km. However, for me, the goal seemed to be far away.
- Finally, I could reach a goal! The time was 4h22min. The time was faster than I expected! I have done! I have done! I was indeed (I wanted to cry!) satisfied with the result. However, it was also indeed cold!
- I truly felt pain on the foot after completing the race.
About Marathon Race
- It is possible to participate the race from the metropolitan area on the day since the start time is 11:00AM.
- Time can be counted for 6 hours. However, note that the traffic restrictions are off at 15:00 and that you must run on the sidewalk after that (You also must obey the traffic signal.)
- A lot of runners participate. The condition is very similar to famous "Oume" Marathon Race.
- You don't need to worry about your empty stomach since a lot of people give runners the food such as bananas, chocolates, etc. along the road.
- Also, you can get enough waters and drink at many points.
- You don't worry about toiltes. There are bushes(!) along the road. Several gas stations offer their toiltes for runners.
- Gifts for runners are dried-sweet-potastes and T-shirt.
- The temperature in Mid-Feb. is low. It is desirable to wear warm clothes. (You had better wear long T-shirt if you are beginner). It becomes cold after 3:00 PM even it is fine. The body does not become warm while running (It's my experience.)
- You can buy food (Ramen, Poke soup etc.) and souvenir at the headquarters.
- Shuttle bus service is available from the station.