The 7th Flower Field Marathon Race
Nitta-mach, Nitta-gun, Gumma Pref.
September 19, 1999
- TemperatureFQWdegrees Centigrade
Impression ofPO races
- When I left the home at 5:50 am, it almost started to rain. I met my running mates at JR Kuki station at 7:30 am. We immediately left there by car for Nitta-mati.
- Although there was no traffic jam, it took much time to arrive there (1h30m) and we finally reached at 9:00 am. The marathon site is very close to the towen office. There is a stone statue of Yoshisada Nitta, a samurai general in 14th century since Nitta-machi is his home town. We immediately registered, because registration would finish by 9:00 am. (However, actually, the registration could be made by 9:30 am.)
- This race is very local and thus the number of the total participants are small (almost 1,000). However, to my surprise, a few participants came from Aomori Pref. (Northern part of Japan) or Nagasaki Pref. (Southern part of Japan).
- The 10km race started at 10:40 am. It became hot and humid just when started although it had been a little bit cool.
- The course of 10km race is to go around the 5km-course twice, which I don't like. It should be one-round-10km-course. The course is very flat.
- As the race is named as "Flower Field Marathon", the course comes across the flower fields. However, this time, only yellow cosmoses were in full blossom. To my regret, the flowers of ordinary cosmoses and sun flowers were scarce. The ordinary cosmoses might be in full blossom if the race would be held in October.
- This was the first race for me in this season (1999) and thus I tried to run slowly. Therefore, from the beginning, I was in the rear group. I was even outstripped by the old man of more than 70.
- I could run first round (5km) with ease. It took 25min. When I came into the second round, the sun apperared little by little and it became hotter! I heavily sweted and felt a little bit tired. However, as the goal was approaching, I could outstrip several people who were already exhausted. Just before the goal, I tried to run as fast as possible. When I reached the goal, the time was 50m12s although I thought I could run within 50m. Anyway, I was happy that I could complete the first race of this season.
- As soon as the race finished, we left for Kuki-city by car, where we started.
- We went to the "Iris Park" in Kuki-city and had a drink party at the rest house. Draft beer was very delicious after the race. Later, other running mates also joined us. Since the only beer was available there, I felt a little bit unsatisfactory. I wished I could have drinken cold Japanese sake at that time.
- Water supply points---2 places (water only) In the middle of the course, temporary built toilet was there.
- Gift for participant---T shirt and fan
- Gallery was not so many since the course was in the rice fields.
- It is difficult to get access to the marathon site without car.
- Time was counted by RC chip. The cerificate was issued immediately after the goal. By the way, I was the 309th among the 600 participants.